I have done what you said in the previous, and it seems to work for viewing purposes only. After doing the above and making a simple idle change, and saving the file, the download failed giving an an error message "Open: Table file not found".
I then tried to download the A9M.CCF that I had just pulled out of the EEC without selecting the A9L and it downloaded just fine. I was suspecting that the car would not start due to the addresses not being mapped correctly. I was correct the car would not start.
Using a modified base A9L binary seems to work, but I would like to use the A9M at some point.