Clint and I have been monitoring an issue with the QH where the tune that's selected isn't the tune the QH is actually serving to the EEC.
I suspected this was happening a while back when I was making some tune changes, and not seeing the results of those changes. I eventually downloaded that tune to all 8 tune positions and voila! I got the expected responses. That spawned me to come up with a way to datalog exactly which tune I was in. I did this by reserving a byte in the unused area of my GUFB-based tune for me to enter a value in. I then updated the datalogging patch code to relay that value to the QH at runtime so I could datalog it on my dashboard and see which tune was being served to the EEC.
As suspected, there were times when the tune I expected to be served wasn't what the EEC was being given. For example, I might have BE setup to make Tune 2 active, but Tune 8 would be what's actually being served to the EEC. Before, I was blind to this. But with the ability to datalog the active tune, I can now see when this is happening and see which of the 8 possible tunes is the active tune.
To make diagnosing this easier, Clint added support for this tune-tracking feature to the latest version of BE (not sure if it is release yet or not). But what it does is pokes the Tune position number into the tune automatically upon download so you don't have to manually enter the tune number in as a scalar for each tune position like I was doing during my development of the feature.
Clint and I, both have tried to contact Craig, but he seems to be on vacation since we aren't getting a response from him. I assume he's on vacation because he's usually quick to get back with either of us, particularly when we have an issue that directly relates to his products. So I expect in the next week or so, we'll be hearing from him, get him involved with what Clint and I have reproduced, and hopefully will get to the source of the problem.
In the meantime, I've implemented this tune-tracking feature in all 3 of the GUFx defs currently posted on the BE/EA website (Rev 79). To make use of it requires a redownload/write of all tunes you currently have in your QH as well as adding the TUNEPOS payload item to your list of payloads to be datalogged. With all tunes rewritten to the QH, you should be able to track, in real time, what tune is being served to the EEC. This works for all 3 modes. So if you use the hardware switch to select your tune (Mode 1 or 5), you should be able to see the tune change as you change the switch position. Although you may find some tune positions aren't changing or are changing to a tune you don't expect them to. Clint and I found instances where if you download all 8 tune positions in Mode 2, then flip to Mode 1, the hardware switch doesn't appear to work at all...and add to that, the tune being served to the EEC is one of the tunes that shouldn't be accessible via the hardware switch...usually Tune 8. What we found that helps is datalogging from each of the tunes, while in Mode 2, before switching to Mode 1/5.
At least with this, you'll have a better picture of what's going on behind the scenes in the event you find that tune changes appear to be doing nothing. In those instances, you may find your changes aren't having an affect because the tune you are modifying isn't the tune the QH is serving to the EEC.
If anybody wants to be able to use this tune-tracking feature with an older version of BE, I'll need to make an addition to the currently posted def files. That can be done, but I didn't want to implement it unless it was needed by someone. But keep in mind, you will need to manually adjust a scalar before downloading to each tune position. For example, if you are downloading to Tune position 3, you'll want to fill the scalar with a 3. Then when you download to Tune 4, first update the scalar to a value of 4.
89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA