fuel pressure fluttering

This is the place for questions about things electrical and mechnanical...or any other automotive-related hardware issue.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

Cruisin428
Gear Head

fuel pressure fluttering

Post by Cruisin428 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:10 am

my gauge for the fuel pressure at the regulator is fluttering about 6 - 8 PSI around 40 PSI

How steady is the fuel pressure typically?

If this is not normal -
I wouldn't think the problem is the fuel pump, Im thinking the pressure regulator may be slow to respond and causing the fluttering??
347 AFR 205cc Race Heads cam?? 90mm Ford MAF siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD Dist & 6AL Vortech V-3 Headers to side pipes- Stick shift
No A/C, EGR or Smog at all

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: fuel pressure fluttering

Post by cgrey8 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:08 am

If this is at idle, you may be seeing the high speed fluctuations of your intake manifold pressure. And being the fuel pressure regulator's job is to have the fuel pressure track with the fluctuations in the intake manifold, this may be what you are seeing. However I would expect that at higher RPM/Loads, you'd see this smooth out a bit. But at lower RPMs where reversion is going to be the most pronounced, it's not surprising particularly if your vehicle has an aggressive, wide duration cam.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com