Explorer 5.0 EEC

This is the place for questions about things electrical and mechnanical...or any other automotive-related hardware issue.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

Curt408
Gear Head

Explorer 5.0 EEC

Post by Curt408 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Here is the vehicle, 95 ranger, explorer 302(small afr shorty, small comp cam, rockers injectors nothing crazy) 4R70w, explorer harness and XDT2 processor (97, no Pat's system).
The issue; truck has been together for 8 months or so(R.I.P 4.2 v6). The EEC I got with the harness tach comes and goes but runs really well with it(well did)... I bought another EEC from a junkyard and found out the explorer wasn't in need of transmission, the transmission outputs we're all dead took off it had manual 1&R. Bought reman A1cardone, it lasted a week. Transmission shift pattern went to crap, watching fuel trims it it was trying to pull fuel driving down the road, at idle sounding like it has a big cam. Swapped XDT2 back everything was fine just no tach.
Sent reman unit back got another it never shifted right from the get go. Put old trusty back in now it's on a over fueling binge like other EEC banks 1&2...
Anybody deal with explorer EEC? Am I the only one who has had these issues? The harness was in good shape no issues rewrapped it. Only code it has is a evap code that never bothered it before.

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: Explorer 5.0 EEC

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:59 am

I don't have anything to offer, but I'm curious what you do find. Having such radically different behaviors with nothing other than the swap of the EEC, yet having very consistent behavior with a specific EEC is rare when all the EECs should've been XDT2. It leads me to wonder were all XDT2 EECs not created equal (i.e. were there version numbers of the XDT2)?

That said, what tuning software/hardware are you using to monitor and adjust things?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Curt408
Gear Head

Post by Curt408 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 am

I'm monitoring with torque app, this spring I'm going to break down and get software from pop's racing.
Drive home from work this morning all is well trims at idle go negative 0.0 little positive. I remember my 96 obd-ii 351 truck, they were notorious for a trans code and EVAP code when EEC was going bad I bought a A1cardone unit for it lasted little over a year and gave same codes, horrible idle constantly swinging up and down on trims. Found 96 e150 351 EEC swapped truck was happy.
The 1st A1cardone in the ranger when I swapped back to the XDT2 processor I backed into the garage, and shut it down my carbon monoxide detector in the kitchen started going off, trims at idle were -24, it was giving pages of codes that didn't make any sense. Swapped to the other good unit in hit the key fired right up idled nice ramp up smooth.
The EEC in question now, I know it had 290k on it, so it's got some miles it it. Normally it's pretty straight forward but this one is making me wonder.

Curtis

Curt408
Gear Head

Post by Curt408 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Thinking about it, I put new style Ford racing 24s in when I built it(engine came out of a 01 so it had the smaller injectors and one was broke from yard pulling). Seems odd to be a issue after this long but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
My old SEFI MA 351 didn't care when I sold it it had 30lb on a stock tune with gt40p (ported) shorties h.o. cam, ported 5.0 upper to 351 lower with a pro-m meter I sent with it.
What do you guys think? Just odd it doesn't do it all the time. With the configuration is hate to buy a set of 19lb to find out they are not enough and have issues (believe I need to buy tuning stuff).

Thank you,
Curtis

oharris
Gear Head

Post by oharris » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:30 pm

Not sure if this helps, but I had a 97 Mountaineer 5.0 that I had the EEC go bad. I had a 97 Explorer 5.0 parts car so I grabbed the EEC out of that. The Mountaineer had an SLL4 and the Explorer had an XDT2. It worked but I had no decel and shifting down to 1. I discovered the trans on the Mountaineer had an 8 pin trans position sensor and the Explorer had a 12 pin. I swapped the transmission harnesses and position sensors thinking that would cure my downshift problem, but it made the trans no longer upshift. I swapped them back, and later found an SLL4 EEC which cured all the problems. My point is be sure the wiring matches the processor. Is there a chance something has been swapped?
Project #1 '88 Mustang GT-40P heads, Explorer intake, Crane Compucam 2030, BBK Long tube Headers.
Project #2 '50 Willys Jeep CJ-3A '86 Mustang SVO swap. Convert to Speed Density?
Project #3 '87 Mustang GT Explorer 5.0 engine and EEC-V computer (other stuff TBD).
Project #4 '80 Porsche 924 Turbo, to EEC or not to EEC that is the question?