This is the place for questions about things electrical and mechnanical...or any other automotive-related hardware issue.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

Cartel
Gear Head

Massive can of worms...help needed

Post by Cartel » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:20 am

I bought a 2003 Mustang GT that was supposed to be "flawless"
Well theres been some flaws I tried to correct and its been making it worse.

The car has every bolt-on part, full length bbk no cats.
I wanted to tune the car so I bought a SCT X4 and also paid for forscan and the forscan recommended OBDII adaptor.

I scanned the car and noticed "vin mismatch" with the ABS.

I tried to flash a canned tune to the car and it failed, I was able to return it to "stock" but that was about the time I ordered forscan because this operation set off the PATS.

After some heated messages to the last owner, I was told the car had a "chip"
I located a diablo revolution delta chip with a black board and a junkyard 2002 ECU with no switch to turn the stock tune back on. I pulled the diablo chip and the car was dead with dashes on the odometer. I put the chip back and the car ran.

At this point I just wanted to get the car back to stock so I can use the X4

I bought a ECU from a far away place and paid to have it shipped. This is the ECU that the car would have come with as far as I could tell.

MT, coupe, 4.6 a Canadian car and only 1 month difference being 03 and mine being month 04

I put the ecu in and programmed pats. The vin mismatch is gone and the traction control functions again.

So I drive the car, its a bit weak but running ok. the only code is the p1000 and now today I see bank 1 and 2 lowers are complaining.

I hook up the SCT x4 to try and take care of that and to fix the speedo which is now off because my car also has a cobra IRS swap with 3.55 and 315 tires out back.

I fire up the SCT x4 and it says NOT SUPPORTED.
Strategy : RYAF1CU not supported

I haven't barely drove the car since I bought it in June and am just about to smash it to bits.

Can anyone make sense of this and help a guy out?

thank you

Cartel
Gear Head

Re: Massive can of worms...help needed

Post by Cartel » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:27 am

https://imgur.com/a/AA0YBno

some images of the car and the ECU'S new and old, and the engine compartment

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:42 am

I see why you bought it. It looks great.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Cartel
Gear Head

Post by Cartel » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:51 am

cgrey8 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:42 am I see why you bought it. It looks great.
thats very kind of you, thanks. 8)

Cartel
Gear Head

Post by Cartel » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:56 pm

I contacted SCT and they said they can only help me if I install team viewer on my desktop.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN

There is no remote gonna be here, ever.
Unbelievable

He wouldn't give me any more info about the error at all and stonewalled me.
not happy

I'm also worried about updating the sct x4 because the neutered the new tune files after they got sued by the EPA

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:42 am

Contact Adam (username POPSRACING) and Derek (username sailorbob) and see if either of them have a definition for your strategy. If they do, then consider purchasing BinaryEditor, a Moates Quarterhorse, and a license to use one of their definitions. I know you don't want to hear the prospect of more purchases. But IF they have a definition available, you do have an option other than SCT.

Now I will say that on occasion, Clint does do remote sessions where he connects to your computer, but I suspect more standard and "secure-for-you" methods are used, such as Zoom, to perform the screen-sharing...unlike whatever it is TeamViewer gives them access to on your computer. And these are only done when you are having some kind of trouble and he needs to either see what you are doing OR he needs to put BE into some kind of developer mode so he can debug something. From what I understand, these are rare occurrences, but the possibility is there. Although in SCT's defense, TeamViewer predates the online meeting technologies like Zoom by quite a few years.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Cartel
Gear Head

Post by Cartel » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:55 am

Thank you for the reply.
I think what happened is they blacklisted all the old tunes with o2 options to not work.
After I downloaded 4500+ tune files, it now works and I flashed a quick tune but the options that were there before are now gone.

Thats pretty sneaky. I should have never hooked it up to wifi but I was naive in thinking newer is better and less bugs and fixed issues.
Boy was I wrong.

Thankfully the PATS remained intact after the flash.
I will be looking for a custom tune and have a lead on an older device that worked good back in the day so I will be hunting for that.

I never even got an option for cold air intake on the new SCT tunes.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:22 pm

It is unfortunate when "updating" something actually cripples behavior. I learned my lesson with that on printers. Back when we were all sent home (early 2020), we needed a printer. So we bought one and as happens, the cartridges ran dry. So instead of paying name-brand price, I got off-brand cartridges. And they worked right up until I agreed to a firmware update of the printer. It's times like this where you learn, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As much as security people are always telling you to keep your IoT devices up to date to avoid what might happen, experiences like this of what did happen will teach the exact opposite.

And I have to admit, BinaryEditor is no different. I can't count the number of times over the years that "updating" BE has caused problems. I've learned when I get notified that there's an update to BE, ignore it if everything is working. There are some updates worth having, so I've learned to backup my current BE install directory before allowing the updater to run just in case I need to revert. That's saved me on more than one occasion.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

86GT
BE/EA Developer

Post by 86GT » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:42 pm

The name on the SCT X4 screen is RYAF1CU which is a XSH2 calibration. SCT is notorious for putting different HEX names in the calibration than what it really is. Sometimes they scramble the name so that other software can not read it. Its the tuners way of making it harder for others to identify it.

It is sad that the tuning industry is doing this, but I understand why. Tuners are trying to protect their work and prevent other people reading out their work and ripping it off. It does create havoc for people like the DIY. I can not say if SCT did this in you case. I read that the X4 is nowhere as reliable as the older X3 was.

To respond to Chris.
All software manufactures goes thru very tight testing process to prevent software bugs. Its inevitable that bugs will slip thru every now and then. Its all about how much time and money they want to spend on testing. Personally I try my best to make sure all bugs are squashed and not in the public versions.

If bugs are not reported, then I can not fix them. I may have opened a can or worms by saying that. Opps I hate worms too LOL

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:07 pm

That wasn't a stab at you personally or BE. You know I prefer BE over anything. However, I have had to learn to work with it's shortcomings. Fortunately BE has very few. But the updater has had a history of not being reliable for me. I can't speak to recent behavior to know if those issues still exist. But regardless whether they do or don't, I've learned that backups are just wise to perform. Whether it's BE or any other software.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

86GT
BE/EA Developer

Post by 86GT » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:25 pm

Completely understood. I will take a look at the updater. I have seen that if the internet connection is disrupted then it has a hard time recovering.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:22 pm

I also realize that from your perspective, it's not desirable for people to discuss the rougher edges of your product. But I actually have the same goal as you...to increase people's satisfaction using your product by having them aware of things they can do to protect themselves when mayhem shows up and tries to ruin the day.

If I recall correctly the issues I've run into, they weren't with the updater itself. The updater usually did it's job just fine. It was with updating, in general. Settings that get lost because the settings file format changed or BE trying to use an outdated settings file and getting things wrong or just corrupting itself in some way that isn't easy to figure out. Sometimes it would result in exceptions. But everytime this happened, it was acting up when I needed BE to work. So having the backup to get me back like it never happened was nice.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

Cartel
Gear Head

Post by Cartel » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:51 pm

Well I figured out 1 thing today.
If you use a tuner to disable the traction control, you will get the pcm abs VIN mismatch code.
So that was a non issue.

Also speaking of updaters.
The SCT update software for the X4 wont let me copy my stock tune to my laptop or get any device info WITHOUT INTERNET after this last round of updates.
So if I'm on a backroad somewhere, the software is useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUXEWVH9BQ

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:08 am

That's DEFINITELY not an issue with BE (or TunerPro for that matter). It sounds like SCT is becoming more and more constrictive and to the detriment of the customer.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

Cartel
Gear Head

Post by Cartel » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:43 am

I think I will put the 2002 ECU back with the Diablo Chip and call it a day.
After I unmarry the sct.
I never read anywhere that a vin mismatch was actually a tune that caused it so if anyone else has this issue I hope this helps.
I need to step back for a bit. thanks for the replies and tips. God Bless from Canada

ZiporaTilda
Gear Head

Post by ZiporaTilda » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:27 pm

It really looks great, I now understand why you decided to buy it.