how to indicate to ECU im in drive

This is the place for questions about things electrical and mechnanical...or any other automotive-related hardware issue.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

ironmanisanemic
Regular

how to indicate to ECU im in drive

Post by ironmanisanemic » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Im having an issue with my bronco stalling out when i put it into gear. So i was toying with the idea of indicating to the ECU when i put the transmission into drive. I have a U4P0 ECU installed, and I believe that by grounding pin 30 to either chassis ground or to pin 46 the ECU should think its in gear. Will this work? I currently have TSTRAT set to AOD-4 (AOD-I) and TRLOAD set to Auto Non Electric Neutral Drive Switch. I would wire this into the neutral safety switch using a relay with pins 30 and 46 wired to the normally closed terminals, so when its in park or neutral the contacts are open telling the ECU its in neutral. When ground is removed when going into gear the contacts close on the relay and the computer sees it as being in gear. I'm hesatent to try this without verification because i dont want to damage anything attempting this.
1989 Ford Bronco:
-393W, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, ProComp Upper and lower intake, Custom Comp Hyd Roller cam, 10:1 compression, 30lb injectors, 75mm TB, Pro-M 80mm MAF, equal length short tube headers, 2.5 inch y pipe merged into single 3 inch with hooker aerochamber muffler and no cat, QH w/ BE and EA running U4P0, AOD

1995 Ford Mustang GT
-Bone stock minus the QH. 5 Speed. T4M0

decipha

Re: how to indicate to ECU im in drive

Post by decipha » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:21 pm

thats how it works from the factory no worries

use ground no need to tap 46 unless your going to ground with that

liljoe07
Regular

Post by liljoe07 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:06 pm

decipha wrote:thats how it works from the factory no worries

use ground no need to tap 46 unless your going to ground with that
A regular ground will work as decipha mentioned. I know the Foxbodys use Pin 46 as the ground, but only in the Manual Trans setups.
89 Coupe- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, CI cam, 24# Inj, 05 Slot MAF, 75mm TB
BBK 1 3/4 LT's, 3"Exhaust, 3"Spintech's, T-5 Trans, QH 1.4, AEM WB, BE/EA: A9L-GUFB

scottc
Gear Head

Post by scottc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:45 am

I am having similar issues with my Mustang, which was a stick car and then changed to a C4 auto. Did you have any luck with your Bronco? You said you had the TSTRAT set to AOD-4 and TRLOAD set to Auto Non Electric Neutral Drive Switch. Did that work and are there other settings I should check that help with the stalling when putting car in gear? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
88LX,5.0L,70mmBBK,Holley System Max Intake,24lb inj,AFR 165 heads, N-51HR Anderson cam,long tube headers, C-4 Trans, 3.73 traclock, EEC A9L,have Quarterhorse and Tuner Pro, best 1/4mi 11.62.

ironmanisanemic
Regular

Post by ironmanisanemic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:49 am

No I never got around to doing this. It will work though. I ended up needing to dial my tune in a bit more and add a bit more idle air to keep it from stalling. I'm also planning on. Doing a 4r70w swap at some point so the mlps sensor will do this anyway.
1989 Ford Bronco:
-393W, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, ProComp Upper and lower intake, Custom Comp Hyd Roller cam, 10:1 compression, 30lb injectors, 75mm TB, Pro-M 80mm MAF, equal length short tube headers, 2.5 inch y pipe merged into single 3 inch with hooker aerochamber muffler and no cat, QH w/ BE and EA running U4P0, AOD

1995 Ford Mustang GT
-Bone stock minus the QH. 5 Speed. T4M0