Which EEC to use on a Porsche turbo?

This is the place for questions about things electrical and mechnanical...or any other automotive-related hardware issue.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

oharris
Gear Head

Which EEC to use on a Porsche turbo?

Post by oharris » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:22 pm

I have an ’80 Porsche 924 Turbo that I want to convert from mechanical fuel injection to EFI. I was planning on using Megasquirt, but after reading on here of how you guys have adapted the EEC system to other engines (something I didn’t know was possible) I thought I’d see what you guys think about this option. I like the idea of using a system common to my other projects, and I can re-use the tuner. With Megasquirt I was planning on using a flex fuel sensor so I could run E85, and I would like to use a wideband O2 sensor as an input. Are there any EEC CPUs that would allow all that? What do you all think of this plan?
Project #1 '88 Mustang GT-40P heads, Explorer intake, Crane Compucam 2030, BBK Long tube Headers.
Project #2 '50 Willys Jeep CJ-3A '86 Mustang SVO swap. Convert to Speed Density?
Project #3 '87 Mustang GT Explorer 5.0 engine and EEC-V computer (other stuff TBD).
Project #4 '80 Porsche 924 Turbo, to EEC or not to EEC that is the question?

decipha

Re: Which EEC to use on a Porsche turbo?

Post by decipha » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:46 pm

the intel ford ecu's don't have a wideband from the factory, you can make it work though it you choose

best bet would be an obd2 ecu 96+ i prefer 99+ with obd-2, you'll have to swap the edis 35 tooth reluctor and cam sensor though which isn't too terribly difficult

thats what i'd recommend

oharris
Gear Head

Post by oharris » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:38 am

decipha wrote:the intel ford ecu's don't have a wideband from the factory, you can make it work though it you choose

best bet would be an obd2 ecu 96+ i prefer 99+ with obd-2, you'll have to swap the edis 35 tooth reluctor and cam sensor though which isn't too terribly difficult

thats what i'd recommend
Thanks! I'll see how my other projects go before I jump in on this one.
Project #1 '88 Mustang GT-40P heads, Explorer intake, Crane Compucam 2030, BBK Long tube Headers.
Project #2 '50 Willys Jeep CJ-3A '86 Mustang SVO swap. Convert to Speed Density?
Project #3 '87 Mustang GT Explorer 5.0 engine and EEC-V computer (other stuff TBD).
Project #4 '80 Porsche 924 Turbo, to EEC or not to EEC that is the question?

decipha

Post by decipha » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:48 pm

decipha wrote:i prefer 99+ with obd-2
I meant to type CoP - coil on plug but obd2 came out, all 96+ eec-v's are obd-2

almost all 99+ are coil on plug