Lowering hydrocarbons

This is the place for questions about things electrical and mechnanical...or any other automotive-related hardware issue.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

rdubb17
Regular

Lowering hydrocarbons

Post by rdubb17 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Failed emissions testing in CT for the second time today.

The limit I have to attain to is 60 PPM @ 2500 RPM.
First time I went in for testing and came out with 195PPM readings (engine was hot). I was running open loop fuel control then.

On the next test, things I tried were:
change oil+filter, enable closed loop & increased idle speed (I didn't know until the second test that they don't even test idle readings).

Second test I came out with 63 PPM @ 2500 RPM.

The emissions guy recommended that I try some dry gas and run a tank of fuel through it and come back. I bought some and threw it in. I want to be guaranteed that the next time I go through, I'll pass. I was going to reduce the ignition timing to 10 degrees but found that my engine heated up very quickly and I didn't want the car to overheat during the test. The cam I have has a lot of overlap (284H-R14) so I know this is what's causing the problem. I have passed before with this exact hardware setup about a year ago so I know it's possible.

I am running a Bassani high-flow x-pipe. I have a stock H pipe in the garage that I could throw on but I don't know if that would help much. Can I enable the thermactor to run full time? would that even help?

Ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan
1994 Ford Mustang, Explorer 302 shortblock, TFS TW 170s, TF street burner intake, Comp Cam 1.7 RR, Comp Cam 284H-R14, Stock MAF & intake, Walbro 255lph pump

decipha

Re: Lowering hydrocarbons

Post by decipha » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:58 pm

just drop the timing as low as you safely can

rdubb17
Regular

Post by rdubb17 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:02 pm

would sea-foam be a waste of time? what about denatured alcohol?

I will drop the timing a bit. Can I enable the thermactor in the software to run full-time? I suspect that would help too.
1994 Ford Mustang, Explorer 302 shortblock, TFS TW 170s, TF street burner intake, Comp Cam 1.7 RR, Comp Cam 284H-R14, Stock MAF & intake, Walbro 255lph pump

decipha

Post by decipha » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:26 pm

instead of seafoam you can use water, just rev it up to 2500 or so and suck in a little water through a very small vac line, thatll steam clean the chamber and hopefully knock off any carbon build up

you can do as you please with your vehicle but i wouldnt run the smog pump, most likely itll dilute the mix and theyll fail you on it

timing alone should have you pass with flying colors

rdubb17
Regular

Post by rdubb17 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:14 am

Just wanted to close this thread out with a resolution and maybe help someone with the same problem I had.
Brought it today (3rd attempt) and it passed!
Turned back the timing 18 degrees over the entire table. Went from 63PPM to 26PPM.