Slot vs Draw through MAF

This is the place for questions about things electrical and mechnanical...or any other automotive-related hardware issue.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

Doublezranch
Gear Head

Slot vs Draw through MAF

Post by Doublezranch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:56 am

Looking to convert a 87 speed density into mass air. Wondering if I can use a slot style or do I need to stick with the draw though.

Thanks for your time!!

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Re: Slot vs Draw through MAF

Post by Paulie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:28 am

Draw thru is not a type of MAF, it is the configuration it is run in and only applies to power adder applications. The Maf is either run draw thru which places the maf before the power adder or blow thru which places the maf between the power adder and throttle body.
Now there are several different types of mafs. Two of the more common are the slot style and the tonsil style. The slot style are a newer design and can be a little more accurate. You can use either one as long as you have the correct electrical connector, can plumb it in the air intake track and can program the correct maf transfer function into the EEC.
1990 Mustang 5.0, HCI, Vortech S-trim, FRPP 42# inj., PMAS MH95, A9L, Moates Quarterhorse, BE/EA, Innovate LC-1.

Doublezranch
Gear Head

Post by Doublezranch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:28 pm

That's excellent information. Thank you.

LeadHead
Tuning Addict

Post by LeadHead » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:53 pm

For whatever particular reason, some MAFs do not like being used in a blow-through application. Notably the Lighting MAF. It doesn't really make sense why it matters, but I suspect it may have something to do with the elevated temps or air density being too high.

EDS50
Administrator

Post by EDS50 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 pm

LeadHead wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:53 pm
For whatever particular reason, some MAFs do not like being used in a blow-through application. Notably the Lighting MAF. It doesn't really make sense why it matters, but I suspect it may have something to do with the elevated temps or air density being too high.
Mostly air turbulence and noise is an issue with blow thru set ups.
1992 LX - 25.1c Chassis, Vortech Blown Dart 332, Lentech Trans, TRZ Backhalf, A9L, Moates QH/SL v1.9, BE, EA, TunerView