Dashboard not reading Air Fuel guage

Errors, Crashes, and Bugs, Oh My! This is where issues specific to tuning software goes. General questions about software features & capabilities are also welcome here.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

nitrouspete
Gear Head

Dashboard not reading Air Fuel guage

Post by nitrouspete » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi guys,

I have the innovate Air/Fuel gauge hooked up and I am using BE to data log it as LAMBSE. I am able to data log it and it's readings are visible only through the data logged chart. When I try to use the dashboard it does not register. I have tried to configure a gauge and to TAG it and still reads blank. Any ideas on how to get it to read out the numbers? I believe I had once set it up to read as a air/fuel ratio and it had worked only then.

Thanks in advance,
P. Demeter

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: Dashboard not reading Air Fuel guage

Post by cgrey8 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:43 pm

You haven't told us how you are datalogging the Innovate. The most common are
  • Innovate serial connection
  • Innovate's 0-5v output wired to an input on the EEC, such as the EGR Valve Position input
  • Third hardware device such as a DataQ that translates 0-5v signals to USB (not as common anymore)
Depending on how you are logging the Innovate would help so we are pointing you to the right places in BE to look at.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

nitrouspete
Gear Head

Post by nitrouspete » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 pm

CGREY8,
Forgot to mention I am set up with the following: Innovate's 0-5v output wired to the EGR valve position input.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:32 pm

In that case, there are two TAGs involved. The native TAG is the EVP which is the raw input that represents the voltage on the EVP input. BE can configure the EVP with a transfer function where you enter AFR values that correspond to the voltage coming in on that input.

Transfer functions are setup and assigned to input TAGs on the dashboard page. There's a button that says "Transfer Functions" on the datalog page where all your payload options to datalog are configured. When selected, you get a popup windows titled "Custom Transfer Functions". The first channel is often the one you use. Select the EVP tag (assuming that's what your definition calls the EGR Position input). Click the "Ch 1" button to configure the actual transfer function input-output values. The 2nd Tag column, you can type in whatever you want. Most people put AFR in here, but you can put whatever you want. And to eliminate tag-name conflicts, type in something nonsensical such as FOO.

At this point, you should see your AFR being logged to the datalog under the FOO column. In addition, your dashboard gauge should also be selected to the FOO tag. If that works but having the tag set to AFR breaks, then something somewhere else in the software is also trying to use AFR which might explain the ambiguous behavior where it works some places, but doesn't others???? But before we get ahead of ourselves, test the FOO tag and see if that works as described above.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

nitrouspete
Gear Head

Post by nitrouspete » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Thank you for your help cgrey8. I was able to reset my tags by starting over my setup and fixed the dashboard to read the TAG properly. Everything works as it should.

Regards,
Peter.