BE 2012 build26 & new Quarterhorse Issue

Errors, Crashes, and Bugs, Oh My! This is where issues specific to tuning software goes. General questions about software features & capabilities are also welcome here.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

Onelfastlride
Gear Head

BE 2012 build26 & new Quarterhorse Issue

Post by Onelfastlride » Mon May 27, 2019 11:54 am

I have an older netbook running Windows XP and BE 2012 build26 with a dongle. I recently had to have my Quarterhorse chip replaced for my foxbody after the battery died on the chip. Now I have an issue. BE recognizes the Quarterhorse chip but will not write a tune to the chip. When I attempt to write a tune, I have no options in the drop options, only one, "write to all".

The write fails and I get an error message, "Invalid QH Mode or Switch Position for this Calibration"

Any help would be appreciated. Is this because now the QH chip firmware does not match the older BE? Is it a driver issue? I attempted to load the newer BE and it will not take my dongle as proof of registration.

Thank you

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: BE 2012 build26 & new Quarterhorse Issue

Post by cgrey8 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Go to the hardware tab in BE, Click the QH button, and reselect the appropriate mode for your strategy. You don't have a signature with your EEC code/strategy listed, so I don't know what mode(s) apply to you.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Onelfastlride
Gear Head

Post by Onelfastlride » Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Clint,

Thank you for the reply. I have or I am doing it wrong... no QH button in the hardware tab. I have the Ford read, Hardware Read, Write (single option write all) , Update, Connect.

88' Mustang, A9L, GUFB Strategy.

Onelfastlride
Gear Head

Post by Onelfastlride » Mon May 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Here is a screen shot of my Hardware Tab
Attachments
IMG_5202.jpg
BE Image
IMG_5202.jpg (81.84 KiB) Viewed 371 times

motorhead1991
Regular

Post by motorhead1991 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:30 pm

Onelfastlride wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:38 pm
Here is a screen shot of my Hardware Tab
That's the main tab. The hardware tab is the "USB" symbol in the displays section.
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

Onelfastlride
Gear Head

Post by Onelfastlride » Tue May 28, 2019 6:28 pm

motorhead1991.......thank you. Got it, selected mode 2; tune 1. GUFB strategy; A9L

Next question. When I write the tune, how can I select the tune location? 1-8. I appear to only have write to all.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:53 am

There's a button in there to erase all tune positions. However I didn't realize he had a write-to-all-positions button. Maybe that got added and I just never noticed?? I don't know. Here's the "regular" way of having to get all tune positions filled:
  • Select the correct Mode. In your case, choose Mode 2.
  • Select a position (e.g. position 1)
  • OK-out of the Mode/Tune selection window
  • Write your tune to the QH
  • Datalog from that position.
  • Repeat the procedure for each additional tune position until all 8 positions have been written-n-datalogged
I vaguely remember Clint had an easter-egg feature in BE that would let you write a tune to all 8 positions, regardless of what tune position you had set but this wasn't as useful as the above procedure due to an annoying bug in the QH firmware where it would serve the EEC a tune you didn't have selected.

Back in the really early days of both the QH and BE, I suspected this was happening to me, but I couldn't prove it easily. So Clint and I worked out a way for BE to insert the tune position into a "magic" scalar. I think GUFx defs expose it as Z_TUNEPOS or something like that. Then I added code to the datalogging patch code that would copy that scalar value to a RAM. I also had to add a TunePos datalog option to the datalog tab to log that RAM location. With that in place, I confirmed that I could flip between the tunes, and the datalog immediately reflected the selected tune position (when the QH was behaving correctly).

With this, I could clearly see, from the dashboard while datalogging, the QH serving up a tune other than the one selected. It actually isn't easy to get the QH into this state. But we did discover that it has something to do with writing to multiple tune positions back-to-back which is why I abandoned using that easter-egg feature of loading all tune positions.

When the QH got into a bad state, it was usually Tune 8 being served. Although I had instances where it was a different position being wrongfully served. It also wasn't consistent when you'd get the wrong tune. I could:
Select Tune 1 and I might get Tune 1.
Select Tune 2 and get Tune 8.
Select Tune 3 and get Tune 3.
Select Tune 4 and get Tune 8 again.
..so on and so forth for the rest of the tune positions, where some might serve 8 instead of the correct tune.

And no, you couldn't just re-write to the tune and have that fix the affected position as though BE wrongfully stuffed the Z_TUNEPOS scalar. No we confirmed, by reading the tune back out of the QH, that the Z_TUNEPOS was being written correctly. The QH was simply serving the wrong tune.

Clint and I discovered, by trial-n-error, that what seemed to work best was to write to each tune position, and immediately try to datalog while in that tune position, before writing to the next tune position. Doing this for all tune positions would get the QH back in a properly operating state.

We reported all this to Craig, and I don't know if it ever got identified and fixed. I think it did but I'm just not sure.

Regardless, it's been my practice to fill each tune position of a new/blank QH with a valid tune using the procedure above. And to this day, I datalog the tune position as well as display it on my dashboard. Although if all you ever do is write new tunes to the same tune position and datalog the same position, it's not likely you'll ever encounter this bug. However if you do want to use a different tune position, make sure to datalog immediately after writing to the newly selected tune position to have the highest chances of avoiding this bug.

The good news is once tunes are written, flipping between the tunes (either via software or hardware) never seemed to reproduce the problem. It only had to do with writing to the positions that triggered the issue.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com