Errors, Crashes, and Bugs, Oh My! This is where issues specific to tuning software goes. General questions about software features & capabilities are also welcome here.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

badshoe
Regular

can the SCT live wire monitor recording be downloaded?

Post by badshoe » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:07 pm

I know the SCT Live Wire Monitor can make recordings and I guess can be played back on the monitor. I would like to know if the recording can be downloaded to a computer and be played back there. Anyone have experience with this monitor, thanks?

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: can the SCT live wire monitor recording be downloaded?

Post by cgrey8 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:10 am

I don't know anything about that software.

If it is anything like the playback you see in EEC Analyzer, then it's a realtime playback of the datalog that's loaded. And if that's the case, then the datalog, I would ASSUME, can be downloaded, but you'd need something to "play" the datalog in realtime.

It's a bit cumbersome, but if you are wanting a video file of the playback, you can use screen-grabbing software to make a video with. The commercial software I'm familiar with is Camtasia. I haven't used it in many years, but when I did, it worked great.

There's an open source (aka free) variant called CamStudio that works, but is much more finicky. I can eventually get it to work, but it can be a pain and you have to constantly check and make sure that it is actually producing something useful. It really needs a lot of work before it is a tool I would recommend to the average user because of its shortcomings. But if can work through all the tinkering/fiddling required, the less-than-useful error codes, the crashes, and out-right useless video files it sometimes outputs, it can be made to produce something useful. It just takes a lot of patience to get something useful.

If you do a lot of video capturing & editing, it's almost easier to just buy a capture device that mimics a monitor and will literally record to an SD-card whatever is fed to it over HDMI. Search AVerMedia for examples, but be prepared to shell out $100-150 depending on where you buy it. Just keep in mind since they are a legitimate and reputable company, their devices will refuse to convert HDCP (copyright protected) HDMI signals such as those coming from a cable box, AppleTV, etc.

There are much cheaper HDMI-to-USB capture devices sold on eBay for $15-25 that I've used, but again, they will not be as polished or as easy to work with since they don't save the video stream anywhere, they just convert it and rely on software (usually open source) to capture the converted stream and save it. And as open source sometimes is, the software can be a pain to get working, but usually does work with a good bit of patience and fiddling. Some people prefer these because they often WILL accept and convert HDCP protected streams (FYI).
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

badshoe
Regular

Post by badshoe » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:09 am

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. I have a feeling the monitor will download a recording because the old X3 programmer I used years ago would allow for recording downloads.

badshoe
Regular

Post by badshoe » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:57 am

I have the Livewire monitor now and it does record and can be downloaded and viewed on a computer, no problem.