Don't use Ford Cobra 39lb Injectors on single valve engines

Anything technical worth keeping around related to EEC Tuning or just general engine tech info.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker, tmoss

cgrey8
Administrator

Don't use Ford Cobra 39lb Injectors on single valve engines

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:34 pm

I hadn't seen this video before but it has an interesting lesson. You shouldn't use the Cobra 39lb injectors in single-valve engines:
Why not to use Ford 39lb injectors in single valve engines

The messed up part is I looked on eBay for about a year waiting for a deal on these injectors. I never did find a deal on them, instead I got a set of Vette 36lb EV6 injectors for a decent price. At the time, I was almost regretting getting the 36s since I really wanted the 39s. But after seeing this video, I see I came out better for the decision. I'm betting there are hundreds of people out there that don't know this about those injectors.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

decipha
Tuning Addict

Re: Don't use Ford Cobra 39lb Injectors on single valve engi

Post by decipha » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:06 pm

thats good to know, in summary the ford 39s have a dual outlet spray pattern so now to me that would raise the question as to how they are orientated as to causing fueling issues??

dsblk93gt
Tuning Addict

Post by dsblk93gt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 am

But then if you look at this video, the Lucas look like they spray more out to the side too? The EV6 small body 24lbers in this test look better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oTirEZN ... re=related
1993 Mustang LX Reef Blue
5spd, h/c/i, Si-Trim, etc..etc

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:34 am

From watching all the videos by FIC, I would say the injector that produces the best mist-pattern, and less of a stream is going to be the best. One or two of the videos shows 6 or so very different injectors and shows how different spray patterns are from injector to injector. The older fat-body injectors almost always produce the worst spray pattern. The newer thinner bodied ones with the 3 hole or 4 hole seem to produce the better patterns. But even amongst them, there's differences in fog-quality.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Since posting this, there's been multiple people that have debated and disagreed with the possibility that these injectors would cause any kinds of problems. So while these injectors might not be optimal, they evidently can work in a single intake valve setup like a std Windsor engine. So your results may vary.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com