Cranks and Starts but immediately Dies

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

Trueblue95GT
Gear Head

Cranks and Starts but immediately Dies

Post by Trueblue95GT » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi, I've read a lot on the EFIDynoTuning site and used the base tune for a T4M0 EEC. I input all the required values (displacement, MAF flow sheet, Injector slopes, etc) and I'm having an issue where I can't keep the car running. It starts up after a little cranking, revs to 2500rpm's and then immediately dies. I've datalogged this occurrence (attached) but I'm not sure where to start. I read that I can't dial in fueling until the car is warm but I can't keep it running long enough to get it warm.

As a side note, I'm able to go back to the factory tune and it will run if I hold the throttle open but I don't know what to change with the tune to get it to stay running.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Attachments
190210124134.DB
(52 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
1995 Mustang GTS 347, TF TW Heads, Victor EFI Intake, FTI Cam, Pro-M MAF, 42lb/hr Green Injectors

Trueblue95GT
Gear Head

Re: Cranks and Starts but immediately Dies

Post by Trueblue95GT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 pm

Wow I feel stupid...I got it to run with a factory tune and datalogged and my MAF was showing .15 volts even when running with a check engine light on for code 157 (MAF signal too low)...so I checked the MAF wiring and no issues there. I took the MAF off and looked inside the filter...no issues there. I took the filter off and looked into the flow tube and saw this white fabric looking stuff...bingo! I had a cobweb in the flow tube...I cleaned the web out and BANG!!!! I have a running car again. SOOOOOO HAPPY!!! Thanks everyone!
1995 Mustang GTS 347, TF TW Heads, Victor EFI Intake, FTI Cam, Pro-M MAF, 42lb/hr Green Injectors

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 am

Interesting.

I've heard of dust and gunk build up that required someone to spray it with carb cleaner to clear. Although even that is a little confusing unless they aren't running an air filter. I guess a REALLY over-oiled K&N might send enough oil down the line to gum it.

But this is the first time I've heard of a cob web blocking the path. I take it the MAF was laying around for a while before this startup? Be glad it was just a cob web and wasn't one of those mud-daubers. That'd be a far bigger pain to clear out without damaging the sensor.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Trueblue95GT
Gear Head

Post by Trueblue95GT » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:28 am

Yup, the car's been sitting for a number of years and I'm finally getting it running again...feels good.