Explorer engine and swap into Mustang

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

oharris
Gear Head

Explorer engine and swap into Mustang

Post by oharris » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:24 pm

I am planning on swapping a complete 5.0 Explorer engine and trans into my ’87 Mustang, computer and all. I figure I get a flash tunable CPU, MAF conversion and EDIS. The potential problem I’m seeing is that after reading this board it seems you want a strategy that is well known and the Explorer CPU is apparently not popular. Can I load say a CDAN4 tune into the Explorer computer? If not can I use a CDAN4 computer with the Explorer wiring? Anyone seeing any other problems with this plan?
Project #1 '88 Mustang GT-40P heads, Explorer intake, Crane Compucam 2030, BBK Long tube Headers.
Project #2 '50 Willys Jeep CJ-3A '86 Mustang SVO swap. Convert to Speed Density?
Project #3 '87 Mustang GT Explorer 5.0 engine and EEC-V computer (other stuff TBD).
Project #4 '80 Porsche 924 Turbo, to EEC or not to EEC that is the question?

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: Explorer engine and swap into Mustang

Post by cgrey8 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:03 am

You need to know what year Explorer EEC you have. 96-97 were 2-bank. 98-01 were 4-bank.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

oharris
Gear Head

Post by oharris » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:27 am

It's a 97, code on the CPU is XDT2. I noticed someone uploaded a bin file in another thread. Is that all I need to tune?
Project #1 '88 Mustang GT-40P heads, Explorer intake, Crane Compucam 2030, BBK Long tube Headers.
Project #2 '50 Willys Jeep CJ-3A '86 Mustang SVO swap. Convert to Speed Density?
Project #3 '87 Mustang GT Explorer 5.0 engine and EEC-V computer (other stuff TBD).

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:25 am

You need a def file to display the bin file. The bin is the raw BYTES as they were sucked out of someone other XDT2 EEC. However there's no human readable info in there.

A def file is what puts meaning to the various values that are in the bin. Incidentally, the bin is also the executable code that the EEC runs, not just the data. So when def-file developers are developing def files, they have to be careful about what they are pointing at. It's a lot of reverse-engineering and assumption-making to develop a def file. So paying money for somoene's def file is not unreasonable given the very specialized expertise and time it takes to make them.

I believe sailorbob has a def file capable of displaying XDT2.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

oharris
Gear Head

Post by oharris » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:34 am

OK, so it sounds like using the Explorer ECU is doable then. Is private message the best way to get ahold of someone on here?

86VickyLX
Gear Head

Post by 86VickyLX » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:37 pm

oharris wrote:I am planning on swapping a complete 5.0 Explorer engine and trans into my ’87 Mustang, computer and all. I figure I get a flash tunable CPU, MAF conversion and EDIS. The potential problem I’m seeing is that after reading this board it seems you want a strategy that is well known and the Explorer CPU is apparently not popular. Can I load say a CDAN4 tune into the Explorer computer? If not can I use a CDAN4 computer with the Explorer wiring? Anyone seeing any other problems with this plan?
CGrey8 Is the person responsible for the tuning software and the QH itself. If anyone can answer your question, it's him.

You actually have a 2wd explorer transmission? Those are pretty rare! I'm more interested to see how you're gonna make a truck 4r70w fit in a fox body. They're a bit longer than the AOD/T5 that was originally in there.

If you really want distributorless ignition, I don't have an answer. However, I have a solution that will drive the transmission. A 94-95 Mustang 5.0 Auto computer will control that. You can use your original harness, just add the associated wiring to the eec connector and move around some wires. This computer also gives you the ability to run a 2 speed electric cooling fan.
"Vicky"
1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX
Driveline
Engine
1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 (Bored 0.020" over) GT40P heads, Extrahoned Cobra Intakes, 70mm throttle body, Comp Cams XE270HR, 1.7 Roller Rockers, 60lb injectors, 2004 Crown Vic P71 Airbox, MAF & Ziptube, Custom Exhaust
Controlled by A4A1 with Quarterhorse
Transmission
Rebuilt 4R70w with J Mod
Rear
3.55:1 Limited Slip with rear disc brakes
Big front brakes and ABS retrofit

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:58 pm

86VickyLX wrote:...CGrey8 Is the person responsible for the tuning software and the QH itself. If anyone can answer your question, it's him.
you give me way too much credit. It's true I am the maintainer of the GUFx defs, which are open source. But I'm not the guy to thank for the technical knowledge that made a lot of those defs possible. That credit goes to sailorbob. What I take credit for is cleaning up a lot of the language in the "english" portion of the defs, correcting things when they are found, and adding comments as I learn nuggets of knowledge that I don't want to forget (and thus that might help others). The defs are far from perfect, but they've come a long way in the 8-or-so years I've had my fingers in them.

As for the QH, I can take even less credit for it. The QH is Craig Moates brainchild. And BE is Clint Garrity's.

And when it comes the the Explorer EECs, I'm not the one to ask questions to. I don't use them. I don't maintain them. And I know very little about how they do what they do. Sailorbob has a def file that works with the XDT2 EEC. He'd be a good source to ask for specifics about the Explorer EECs. Decipha is another.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com