2.3T Speed density hack

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

oharris
Gear Head

2.3T Speed density hack

Post by oharris » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:26 pm

I have a 1950 Willys Jeep into which I have swapped an ’86 SVO engine. This is a running driving project, but it has never really run as well as I think it should. I came across a mention of SVOJohn’s speed density hack for 2.3L turbos, but I can’t seem to find how to actually do it. I am running an LA3 computer with the SVO harness (I did the pin swap when I installed it). I like the idea of deleting the VAM since it is a restriction, and frankly I would like to get some extra room under the hood. Does someone have a link on how to do this?
Project #1 '88 Mustang GT-40P heads, Explorer intake, Crane Compucam 2030, BBK Long tube Headers.
Project #2 '50 Willys Jeep CJ-3A '86 Mustang SVO swap. Convert to Speed Density?
Project #3 '87 Mustang GT Explorer 5.0 engine and EEC-V computer (other stuff TBD).
Project #4 '80 Porsche 924 Turbo, to EEC or not to EEC that is the question?

decipha

Re: 2.3T Speed density hack

Post by decipha » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:14 am

not that i know, i dont think he frequents the forum anymore

in any case, some had great luck with it and others didn't, the general consensus was to just swap ecu's with maf code for most

i know thats not what you wanted to hear but its pretty straight forward and would save a bunch of time and frustration

oharris
Gear Head

Post by oharris » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:39 pm

decipha wrote:in any case, some had great luck with it and others didn't, the general consensus was to just swap ecu's with maf code for most

i know thats not what you wanted to hear but its pretty straight forward and would save a bunch of time and frustration
Would that be the A9L or would something with a knock sensor be preferred. I have read that the LA3 I'm using now has lots of code for detonation prevention, would you agree with that? Seems like a good thing to have in a turbo engine.
Project #1 '88 Mustang GT-40P heads, Explorer intake, Crane Compucam 2030, BBK Long tube Headers.
Project #2 '50 Willys Jeep CJ-3A '86 Mustang SVO swap. Convert to Speed Density?
Project #3 '87 Mustang GT Explorer 5.0 engine and EEC-V computer (other stuff TBD).
Project #4 '80 Porsche 924 Turbo, to EEC or not to EEC that is the question?

decipha

Post by decipha » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:35 am

if your tune is dialed in and you don't get crap fuel or loose fuel pressure its not really a concern, there's plenty turbo engines out there with no knock sensors

the foxbody ecu's are fine, im more partial to the 94-95 ecu's myself though, any will get the job done, the supercoupe ecu's have knock hardware present if that interests you