Cranks and Starts but immediately Dies

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, 2Shaker, Jon 94GT

Trueblue95GT
Gear Head

Cranks and Starts but immediately Dies

Post by Trueblue95GT » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi, I've read a lot on the EFIDynoTuning site and used the base tune for a T4M0 EEC. I input all the required values (displacement, MAF flow sheet, Injector slopes, etc) and I'm having an issue where I can't keep the car running. It starts up after a little cranking, revs to 2500rpm's and then immediately dies. I've datalogged this occurrence (attached) but I'm not sure where to start. I read that I can't dial in fueling until the car is warm but I can't keep it running long enough to get it warm.

As a side note, I'm able to go back to the factory tune and it will run if I hold the throttle open but I don't know what to change with the tune to get it to stay running.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Attachments
190210124134.DB
(52 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
1995 Mustang GTS 347, TF TW Heads, Victor EFI Intake, FTI Cam, Pro-M MAF, 42lb/hr Green Injectors

Trueblue95GT
Gear Head

Re: Cranks and Starts but immediately Dies

Post by Trueblue95GT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 pm

Wow I feel stupid...I got it to run with a factory tune and datalogged and my MAF was showing .15 volts even when running with a check engine light on for code 157 (MAF signal too low)...so I checked the MAF wiring and no issues there. I took the MAF off and looked inside the filter...no issues there. I took the filter off and looked into the flow tube and saw this white fabric looking stuff...bingo! I had a cobweb in the flow tube...I cleaned the web out and BANG!!!! I have a running car again. SOOOOOO HAPPY!!! Thanks everyone!
1995 Mustang GTS 347, TF TW Heads, Victor EFI Intake, FTI Cam, Pro-M MAF, 42lb/hr Green Injectors

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 am

Interesting.

I've heard of dust and gunk build up that required someone to spray it with carb cleaner to clear. Although even that is a little confusing unless they aren't running an air filter. I guess a REALLY over-oiled K&N might send enough oil down the line to gum it.

But this is the first time I've heard of a cob web blocking the path. I take it the MAF was laying around for a while before this startup? Be glad it was just a cob web and wasn't one of those mud-daubers. That'd be a far bigger pain to clear out without damaging the sensor.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Trueblue95GT
Gear Head

Post by Trueblue95GT » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:28 am

Yup, the car's been sitting for a number of years and I'm finally getting it running again...feels good.