What are thoughts on moving IAT sensor from intake to charge pipe?

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

dmills4229
Regular

What are thoughts on moving IAT sensor from intake to charge pipe?

Post by dmills4229 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm not sure if this question belongs in this forum...

I have a 1991 mustang with turbo. What are opinions on moving the IAT sensor from the intake manifold to the charge pipe? My datalogs definitely show the IAT climbing higher and higher over time.

motorhead1991
Regular

Re: What are thoughts on moving IAT sensor from intake to charge pipe?

Post by motorhead1991 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:22 pm

If you use a slot MAF, it's already there :wink:
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

dmills4229
Regular

Post by dmills4229 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:42 pm

Unfortunately I am using standard MAF, as in Pro-M.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:55 pm

For my transplant of a 97 Explorer engine into my 89 Ranger, I retrofitted the engine with 89-93 Mustang parts including the EEC. However the Explorer doesn't use an intake mounted ACT sensor. So initially, I just mounted mine right in my air filter. For my setup, I went with a cone-style air filter that had a metal cap on the end. I drilled a hole in that, put a rubber grommet around the base of the sensor and sealed between the grommet and filter plate with silicone gasket. That worked great.

But this was my plan from the beginning of the swap and so while the V8 harness was completely unloomed to do a multitude of other modifications to work for my Ranger engine bay, I just relocated the ACT connector to where I wanted it. In the case of actually "relocating" just the ACT in an otherwise already completely loomed-up harness, well you'll be digging through there making splices to get it relocated. I'd almost recommend you leave the old connector (and sensor) right where they are. Splice in a new ACT connector and wire it up to wherever you decide to locate it, and then choose which one you want to use by plugging or unplugging them. I did something similar with I upgraded from a stock 89-93 style MAF to a slot style which has an ACT built in. My harness still has the old ACT connector (and MAF connector) on it. They are just unplugged. I haven't needed it, but the intent was to be able to revert back easily if for some reason I didn't like the slot style MAF.

BTW, I used a rubber seal from some old rear drum brake piston I'd recently replaced. I used a box knife to cut the hole larger to fit the sensor and threaded the sensor into that. At the time, I thought it was a rather ingenious re-purposing of what would've been trashed. Although in retrospect, I think just the silicone gasket around the sensor would've worked just as well. The rubber grommet just served to "hide" the silicone from view.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

motorhead1991
Regular

Post by motorhead1991 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:26 pm

cgrey8 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:55 pm
For my transplant of a 97 Explorer engine into my 89 Ranger, I retrofitted the engine with 89-93 Mustang parts including the EEC. However the Explorer doesn't use an intake mounted ACT sensor. So initially, I just mounted mine right in my air filter. For my setup, I went with a cone-style air filter that had a metal cap on the end. I drilled a hole in that, put a rubber grommet around the base of the sensor and sealed between the grommet and filter plate with silicone gasket. That worked great.

But this was my plan from the beginning of the swap and so while the V8 harness was completely unloomed to do a multitude of other modifications to work for my Ranger engine bay, I just relocated the ACT connector to where I wanted it. In the case of actually "relocating" just the ACT in an otherwise already completely loomed-up harness, well you'll be digging through there making splices to get it relocated. I'd almost recommend you leave the old connector (and sensor) right where they are. Splice in a new ACT connector and wire it up to wherever you decide to locate it, and then choose which one you want to use by plugging or unplugging them. I did something similar with I upgraded from a stock 89-93 style MAF to a slot style which has an ACT built in. My harness still has the old ACT connector (and MAF connector) on it. They are just unplugged. I haven't needed it, but the intent was to be able to revert back easily if for some reason I didn't like the slot style MAF.

BTW, I used a rubber seal from some old rear drum brake piston I'd recently replaced. I used a box knife to cut the hole larger to fit the sensor and threaded the sensor into that. At the time, I thought it was a rather ingenious re-purposing of what would've been trashed. Although in retrospect, I think just the silicone gasket around the sensor would've worked just as well. The rubber grommet just served to "hide" the silicone from view.
Instead of having two MAF plugs, I actually cut them even with the ACT wires and pinned up an 8 pin plug to create a pigtail. If I want to switch to a different style of MAF, I just make another pigtail :grin:
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:11 am

That works too. And I usually prefer the adapter harness way of doing things. I just didn't have the counterpart plugs to make myself a harness at the time. But I did have wire cutters and a soldering iron so I worked with what I had at the moment.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Vortech347
Tuning Addict

Post by Vortech347 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:48 am

I have mine in a carb spacer between the elbow and victor jr intake. Works well.
Matt
90 GT, 347, Vortech Si-trim (11psi), Edelbrock 6037 heads, Super Victor 8.2 EFI Ported, 80MM Pmas, 60lb EV14 Bosch Gen 4 Injectors, KB BAP, B31 Cam, T56. Tweecer RT, A9L. Software: EA/BE. 550rwhp & 513rwtq.
2003 Sonic Blue 03' Cobra 497rwhp 481tq, Pro Racer Pack
2013 Taurus SHO Performance Pack.

A6intruder
Regular

Post by A6intruder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Just physically moving the IAT won't improve anything if you don't adjust the functions affected by ACT. It might actually make things worse if you don't adjust those functions. Remember the stock tune with sensor in the manifold is expecting ACT around 200 deg-ish. Under WOT I don't know if the ACT goes up or down on a stock engine.

Your basic concept is sound. In the intake manifold position historically the IAT doesn't change much - normally somewhere around coolant temp. Getting the IAT in the charge pipe where it sees the different temps caused by boost does make sense giving you another parameter to work with. Figure out which functions are affected and make sure you re-configure them in a manner that makes sense for your tune.

On my 1994 Mustang single turbo (CBAZA) the IAT was always in the cool-air between the air filter and the manifold. Looking at the stock tune it looks like Ford only pulled about 2 degrees as temp goes up from 100F to 254F (LOAD-89%). With my turbo setup I currently pull about 4 degrees at 130F and 8 degrees if the temps hit 254F. That is an arbitrary setting, I have not done any optimization but the trend is correct, values may be too much.

Anyway, the move of IAT alone is not an improvement by itself. Dig into the functions to make use of the move to make it worthwhile.

I am curious how much spark the rest of you pull with ACT increase?
Dan Nicoson
1994 Mustang GT, CHP 331 forged crank bottom end, single Holset HX35W turbo, AFR 165 heads, TF Intake, "Baby" Crower cam with Beehive springs, TwEECer using BE and DataQ data logger