Boost 89 SHO tuning help...

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, 2Shaker, Jon 94GT

Yamsho
Gear Head

Boost 89 SHO tuning help...

Post by Yamsho » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 am

Guys, I am new here. I got 1989 turbo SHO 3.2...its very well built. Got base tweecer with tune that was uploaded by a reputable guy in SHO community. Got it started up and idle very well...with some slight problems... it running pig rich as black smoke emitting out like its a Diesel,
on my WB it registers 10.0 till up to mid 3500-4000 finally see it into 14-12.8 a/f.

I have been reading the tuning guide 93 pages of it several times...I got some handle on understanding the concept of tuning, copying and adjusting the figures that differs from stock X2J strategy. I can see there are few (around 10-15) that's differs from stock X2J tune.

What I am asking...what is significant tune to focus on to make adjust for pig rich condition? What do you guys need from me to help figure what need to be adjusted?

Here what's on my SHO 3.2.
Stock 3.0 cams
Hand ported heads/runners
83lb/hr siemen deka injectors
VMP 5000 slot MAF
Precision Turbo .82 A/R .70 A/R
Coil on plugs (modification from Distributorless coil pack)
SHOnut performance 255lph hi flow pump/hi flow regulator with long style fuel Log.
38mm Tial WG
55mm Tial BOV

Hope someone can chime in and help. Much appreciate. Thanks

Paul Howle

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: Boost 89 SHO tuning help...

Post by cgrey8 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:55 am

You need the ability to datalog so you can determine exactly what it is that needs adjusting. But the TwEECer Base isn't going to give you that. You either need to upgrade it to one that can datalog or ditch it for a Quarterhorse, BinaryEditor, and a license for your EEC's definition. My guess is the cheaper option would be to upgrade the TwEECer. But this still leaves you using CalEdit. If you upgrade to BinaryEditor and your EEC's def while still using a TwEECer, you probably are in the realm of just upgrading to the Quarterhorse.

As for your problem, my guess is it's the MAF curve that needs to be tweaked and possibly even the Injector parameters. However without the ability to datalog the MAF along-side the WB to know what MAF values are too high or too low, it'd be just guessing to suggest anything that would help.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Yamsho
Gear Head

Post by Yamsho » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:41 am

cgrey8, thanks for getting back to me rather quickly... that's what I thought on Base Tweecer... who would be best to buy quarterhorse from?

Paul

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:25 am

Buy new from Moates directly.

Buy used from whomever you trust to sell you a working unit.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Post by Paulie » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:28 pm

You didn't say what tuning software you are using but if you are not using Binary Editor make sure there is a complete definition file available for your strategy before purchasing BE.
1990 Mustang 5.0, HCI, Vortech S-trim, FRPP 42# inj., PMAS MH95, A9L, Moates Quarterhorse, BE/EA, Innovate LC-1.

EDS50
Administrator

Post by EDS50 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:47 pm

I would recommend to check with coretuning to see if they offer a strategy/bin for what you are using and purchase a QH with Binary Editor on a dongle license so you are not restricted to a single machine (laptop) use.
1992 LX - 25.1c Chassis, Vortech Blown Dart 332, Lentech Trans, TRZ Backhalf, A9L, Moates QH/SL v1.9, BE, EA, TunerView