Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

EDS50
Administrator

T-5 to AOD swap tune settings

Post by EDS50 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:28 pm

I did a t-5 to aod swap on a factory 92 5-speed car with a9l. I kept everything wiring/harness ecm wise factory. Changed the stick pedals assembly to an aod pedal assembly. NSS and reverse lights work as intended. Car Idles, drives and runs fine with the a9l but I noticed isflag is stuck on 2 (neutral) with trload set at the default a9l setting of 3 whether the shifter is in park, neutral or drive. If I set trload to 4 then isflag is stuck on 0 (drive) whether in park, neutral or drive. I ran codes and it came back with a code 67 which I am sure is because the NGS switch is disconnected since the aod does not have the NGS like the t-5 does. Any recommendations on whether I should jumper the NGS connector or is there something else tune related I am missing?
1992 Mustang LX - 25.1c Chassis, Vortech Blown Dart 333 on Meth, Lentech Trans, TRZ Backhalf, A9P Tune, Moates QH/SL v1.9, BE, EA, TunerView

2003 Mach 1 - Core Tuning RYAK1/ZYA2 QH Tuned, Borla Atak Cat Back, Pypes X-Pipe, Twin 65mm TB, K&N CAI, ICT Billet Intake Spacer, Eibach Pro Series Plus Suspension, Steeda Adj. Upper/Lower Control Arms, QA1 Bump Steer, Steeda Short Throw Shifter, 315/35/17's.

PDE
Gear Head

Re: T-5 to AOD swap tune settings

Post by PDE » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:33 pm

You may want to go to the EEC Documents section and look up EEC differences between auto and manual transmission by T. Moss.
It appears that there is some wiring that needs to be changed and you may want to switch to an Automatic processor.

EDS50
Administrator

Post by EDS50 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Thanks PDE, I searched the Tmoss Website and examined his documents and the 91-93 harness pinout which was very helpful. The issue I was experiencing with the aod in the car now (originally a t-5 car swapped to an aod) with the gufb/a9l, stick harness and o2 harness was that isflag was not responding to gear change as it was stuck in neutral (2) no matter how I set trload. This issue is most likely due to the aod having no provision for the NGS on the transmission like the t-5 has; aod uses a different NDS for reverse lights and gear sense. I wasn't having any idle or drivability issues nor was I having any issues pulling codes but I was concerned with isflag not following gear selection. I conducted some testing on pin 30 and 46 and all was working as expected with the exception of pin 30 in gear as there was no signal present switching from park to reverse / neutral to drive. So, I experimented by switching the o2 harness jumper from stick to auto configuration and and now pin 30 recieves signal as intended as well as pin 46 maintaining ground as it should. I fired the car up and she started, ran and idled fine but I noticed she was running rich and the o2's were stuck lean on the datalog screen. I decided to load a quick guf1/a9p tune in the car with minor changes just to try and now the o2's are switching and fueling is somewhat normal or as expected with a barely modified a9p tune. Interesting indeed. Now I can create a guf1/a9p tune and run it on the a9l ecm (Same as our forum member 86GT). I would have preferred to stick with the a9l tune but now with the a9p tune everything ecm wise works as intended.
1992 Mustang LX - 25.1c Chassis, Vortech Blown Dart 333 on Meth, Lentech Trans, TRZ Backhalf, A9P Tune, Moates QH/SL v1.9, BE, EA, TunerView

2003 Mach 1 - Core Tuning RYAK1/ZYA2 QH Tuned, Borla Atak Cat Back, Pypes X-Pipe, Twin 65mm TB, K&N CAI, ICT Billet Intake Spacer, Eibach Pro Series Plus Suspension, Steeda Adj. Upper/Lower Control Arms, QA1 Bump Steer, Steeda Short Throw Shifter, 315/35/17's.

PDE
Gear Head

Post by PDE » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:02 pm

I'm glad you were able to figure this out.
I learned something here myself as well
My nephew wants me to switch from my AOD to a manual, but I didn't realize there was more to it than just a parts swap.
I'm fine with the AOD, but will keep this info in mind if I do change my mind.

EDS50
Administrator

Post by EDS50 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:10 pm

PDE wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:02 pm I'm glad you were able to figure this out.
I learned something here myself as well
My nephew wants me to switch from my AOD to a manual, but I didn't realize there was more to it than just a parts swap.
I'm fine with the AOD, but will keep this info in mind if I do change my mind.
If you ever have any questions regarding the aod to t-5 swap or vice versa, let me know.