New to EEC Tuning but have some GM OBD1 experience

Technical and non-technical chit-chat about whatever. Discuss, trade notes, complain, debate, just keep it civilized.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, 2Shaker, Jon 94GT

04Lightning
Gear Head

New to EEC Tuning but have some GM OBD1 experience

Post by 04Lightning » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:10 am

Happy Thanksgiving Day !!

Saying Hello to the members here!

Have been wanting to tune my Lightning for many years now, and am finally going to buy the necessary hardware/software to do it.

Leaning towards Adams Quarterhorse Package. Well that's what I plan to get. Not sure which "accessories" I will need to go with.
Have a good friend with an 01 Lightning I want to tune his as well, so this will add to my hardware list.
Just not sure yet which extras to go with the Quarterhorse package will be needed. Still reading on Craig's website and his Ford Product Tutorial pages.

Have some experience with Craig's APU1 and burn2 and an assortment of his hardware and chips for GM OBD1 tuning. But the EEC V PCM tuning is all new for me.
My Lightning has a few mods, and an old, outdated hand held SCT tune on it. It's OK, but I want more.

Will do more lurking and reading than bothering the experienced here, but at some point I will have to ask for a pointer or 2.

Thank you all in advance,

James

ironmanisanemic
Regular

Re: New to EEC Tuning but have some GM OBD1 experience

Post by ironmanisanemic » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Its a good package. You dont really need anything extra outside of what is included in the package. Although i would recommend getting the OBD2 package and getting a quarterhorse separately. That way if you ever decide to tune anything 05 or newer you will be able to, but you can use the OBD2 flash cable with your existing vehicle as well.
1989 Ford Bronco:
-393W, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, ProComp Upper and lower intake, Custom Comp Hyd Roller cam, 10:1 compression,FRPP LU34 34lb injectors, 75mm TB, Pro-M 80mm MAF, equal length short tube headers, 2.5 inch y pipe merged into single 3 inch with hooker aerochamber muffler and no cat, QH w/ BE and EA running U4P0, 4R70W

1995 Ford Mustang GT
-Bone stock minus the QH. 5 Speed. T4M0

Ford 8061/8065 processor, assembly/dissasembly, strategy development information on my GDrive Share

04Lightning
Gear Head

Post by 04Lightning » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:03 pm

The OBDII package you mention, is it the Direct flash package? Shown here http://coretuning.net/index.php/shop

I looked at that but am unsure of what that will allow me to do, meaning I would be actually flashing the PCM through my DLC?
As opposed to the quarterhorse piggybacking the PCM leaving it relatively unchanged when the QH is removed, returning to the stock program it had from Ford.

Do I have that correct?

I have a bunch to learn before I pull the trigger on this hardware. It's not like the few $$ spent on the GM stuff I did in the past. However all the LT1 pcms I flashed, flashed over the original program from GM. And if one had a glitch in the reprogramming, the PCM was rendered into an expensive doorstop! Happened once to me. The chips that get corrupted are tiny and SMT. Had to send it out for those to be replaced.

Thank you for replying ironmanisanemic!

James

ironmanisanemic
Regular

Post by ironmanisanemic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Yes that is the package i was talking about. and yes it flashes directly over the obd2 port.

There are pros and cons to the flash cable vs the quarterhorse. Quarterhorse is superior to the flash cable in the areas of quick tune changes and datalogging, aka can make realtime changes without power cycling the ignition. Plus it doesnt make permenent changes to the ecu. Con, it wont work on any ECU after 2005ish. Flash cable pro, simple to get started without having to physically access the ECU. Tunes are written directly to the ecu, so no worries about dead batteries loosing your tune. Can tune vehicles from 96-04, and 05 and newer that lack the J3 port. Cons, writes are slower than compared to the quarterhorse. Cannot make realtime tune changes without performing a full reflash. Datalogging is a bit slower and more limited in how much you can log and what you can log.

Im sure there are more for each, but those are the ones that come to mind. For me i would choose the flash pack first, because the cost of the flash cable and the obd2 license costs more on their own than the quarterhorse and the moates hw license. so you actually save money and give yourself more capability from the start than if you go the other route.

I have used both, and like both, but i do prefer using the quarterhorse when i can or when its feasible. For example my 03 Escape, the ECU is located in the engine compartment, so installing the quarterhorse isnt easy or easy to route the cable. Its much easier in that application to just use the flash cable and do everything over the OBD2 connector.

I hope this helps
1989 Ford Bronco:
-393W, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, ProComp Upper and lower intake, Custom Comp Hyd Roller cam, 10:1 compression,FRPP LU34 34lb injectors, 75mm TB, Pro-M 80mm MAF, equal length short tube headers, 2.5 inch y pipe merged into single 3 inch with hooker aerochamber muffler and no cat, QH w/ BE and EA running U4P0, 4R70W

1995 Ford Mustang GT
-Bone stock minus the QH. 5 Speed. T4M0

Ford 8061/8065 processor, assembly/dissasembly, strategy development information on my GDrive Share

04Lightning
Gear Head

Post by 04Lightning » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Yes, that information helps me a lot.
I am getting older and don't suspect I'll be tuning anything newer than my 04 L and my buddies 01 L.
And I like the piggyback without altering the factory tune, in case the truck ever goes back to stock.

I still have my VCM cable from when I was working. I bought my own through the dealership. I looked into reviving the license to use that. That option is off the table, too $$$$$.
I do miss my IDS programming and data logging, it was the best for it's intended use.

Guess I should put it up on eBay and get what I can for it...

Thank you for your insight, VERY much appreciated !!