Technical and non-technical chit-chat about whatever. Discuss, trade notes, complain, debate, just keep it civilized.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

tvrfan
Tuning Addict

Re: California to make EEC retuning illegal

Post by tvrfan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:10 am

For anyone interested, this is a skeptic site for global warming. NB. NOT a DENIAL site, but one which attempts to stick to valid science and math principles, because they believe the global warming case is not PROVEN, not that it is automatically wrong. A true skeptic viewpoint, as in "show me the data and the proof..."

Some interesting articles both for and against (mainly against...), and the likely effects of the current political decisions around the world.

https://wattsupwiththat.com

Enjoy (or not, up to you)
TVR, kit cars, classic cars. Ex IT geek, development and databases.
https://github.com/tvrfan/EEC-IV-disassembler

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:33 am

tvrfan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:03 pm...I also read that in real life, the EV motor doesn't get to be nearly as good as for a static machine, as most of the existing 'leccy motor designs are best/efficient at constant running speeds, which is definitely NOT an EV profile. (Q. Are there any EVs with a true CVT system? I don't know...
I hadn't heard this but it doesn't surprise me. Most any mechanical system has a range of most efficiency. It reminds me of when the CVT systems 1st came out. People weren't properly educated on them and the value they offer by allowing the engine to run at its most optimal RPM for the power demand thus its not going to feel like a normal car which has the increased engine noise and sudden drop on gear change. People complained so heavily about it (out of ignorance) that Chevy added logic to make the engine "sound and feel" like a vehicle with gears thus negating some of the efficiency virtue of CVT. Go figure...

But back to my desire for PHEVs is along these lines. If the engine is tiny, sized and designed to be efficient running wide open, and its only job is to run a generator to drive the vehicle when the battery is depleted, then you get the day-to-day benefits of a plug-in while getting the efficiency, convenience, and distance of a gas-hybrid. Yeah it is maintaining two systems, but its not an apples-to-apples comparison with the PHEVs we have today. The PHEV I think that is needed to ease the transition to all-electrics doesn't need all the driveline overhead PHEVs today have. It wouldn't need to be sized for "take-off" power. It would drive a generator/alternator, which is a far simpler and physically smaller piece of tech than a transmission & driveline. So the engine's physical size could be more akin to a small to midsize motorcycle engine or possibly even a riding lawn mower engine. And like the CVT engines should be, it could run at its optimal RPM for the load needed even when sitting still (charging the battery for takeoff). Without a driveline, there are all kinds of mounting options, orientations and locations. How odd would it be to have a vertical crankshaft in a car?

The big question is how well would people adopt this? I suspect it would be a far easier sell than even the CVTs were. This is, after all, an electric vehicle primarily. The engine is only needed when the batteries are low. Although like the Chevy Bolt, there would need to be a regular 10-20 minute maintenance running every 2 weeks/month just to make sure it is in good condition (managed by the computer, not the user). You wouldn't want the engine to not run for 2 years and then discover that it doesn't run for some reason right when the batteries are depleted.

Is it a perfect solution? No. But I do think its a good transition tool to gradually get people converted over from gas to electric. I'm just surprised there aren't more options that fit this description today. Maybe they are in the works and we'll see them in a few years? I don't know.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

tvrfan
Tuning Addict

Post by tvrfan » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:40 pm

TOTALLY agree with that last post. In countries where there are big distances between population centers, a hybrid is the only choice, not only because you might get really stuck, but perception as well. Once you decide that, you are right, then probably the most efficient answer is to have an engine which runs ONLY the generator at constant speed and is tuned for that purpose (links back to the gas turbine idea). But whether people will buy such a vehicle is a big issue of course..... it will need some education for drivers I suspect.

Yep, In the end it's buyer/driver perception that will drive the market.

I'll keep my Toyota ICE for now, thank you. It still runs perfectly. I can still argue it's greener to keep a car than buy a new one! New cars are expensive, and EVs even more so, despite the 'rebate or fine' setup here in NZ. I'll wait until it makes financial sense, which probably won't be until something serious breaks. Given the legendary reliability of Toyotas, that might be another 20 years away 8)
TVR, kit cars, classic cars. Ex IT geek, development and databases.
https://github.com/tvrfan/EEC-IV-disassembler