Using BE, a Burn1 and a Moates F3...

Have a suggestion or a submission for a FAQ or Tech Doc? Post it here...

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

qikgts
Regular

Using BE, a Burn1 and a Moates F3...

Post by qikgts » Wed May 07, 2008 11:36 am

As a newb trying to use this combo I think it would be helpful if an FAQ were added for this. I've looked all around but I haven't been able to find any simple "Using BE, Burn1 and F3 Chips for Dummies" style write up's anywhere.

It is straight forward enough to read and modify the bin's from the eec and the F3 I have (that was burned previously by another party) but my questions start coming from not knowing what the offsets should be set at in BE to write to the F3 and not knowing how to read and write to both "memory areas" of the F3. Can BE even do that? I've also found differences in the bin's I downloaded from the BE site when compared to the two EEC's I have read myself, so I've become confused rather quickly...

I know not having or using a tweecer RT is useless for anyone trying to tune for driveability but for my application I'm guessing it should be OK. My car is a strip only deal and I really just want to make minor changes that would allow for repeatable performance on the track. I thought (and that could be a problem all in itself!!!) by using a few tunexchange templates and tapping the knowledge base here I'd be able to do it. As it turns out, it hasn't been so simple to get going...

If there is something already put together that explains exactly how the BE interface with the Burn1 is used I would love to see it. I have looked at the documentation on moates.net and none of it applies to using BE. I also haven't seen anything on the BE site. Perhaps I've missed it. If I did miss it could someone point me to it?

Another issue I have is that I can't draw any parallels between "Flash and Burn" and BE because I'm too new at this and I've never programmed any chip's in the past. That being said, any help would be appreciated...

Steve
Turning screws on a Holley 4180c these days...

My Hooptie: '85 GT. Just about bone stock and knocks down 24 on the highway... LONG LIVE 7.5's and 2.73's!!!

codedout
Tuning Addict

Re: Using BE, a Burn1 and a Moates F3...

Post by codedout » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:47 pm

I started out the way you did, and unfortunately you really do need an RT. Without it you have no idea what is going on in the car. you can take a stock bin either T4M0 or J4J1 both have their advantaes and disadvantages. J4J1 may be your best bet. You modify it in BE, set all of your parameters. Then use the burn1 program to burn the tune to the chip, and plug it in. PM me if you have issues, and ill give you my email address. I also have the J4J1 and T4M0 bins.
Mike
-
T4M0/CBAZA, 331 10.5:1, 30#inj, Prof Prod 70mm TB, Typhoon intake, E303 cam, HPP210 heads, x-pipe, shorties, tweecer, tunerpro, ProM MAF, MSD Blaster& Dist, flowmasters, Holley 255lph, Scorpion 1.6RR, AEM WB,UD Pull,KYB GR2, Granatelli upr lwr.

qikgts
Regular

Post by qikgts » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks for the input and offer to help... Since I made the post I "had someone hold my hand" and I managed to get past all of my issues. Stanger007 has a tutorial on his site that explains how to do everything I was questioning and thus far everything is working great... Here's the link if someone needs it later down the line...

http://www.mustang-tech.org/wiki/94-95_ ... ereToStart

I've been using a slightly modified L4C1 tune and for the little bit I have played with the car, it started, ran and idled around good enough where I think it should work out for me at the track. If it slows down, I'll know I went backwards and if I really feel I need an RT, I'll make the investment. (I hope there is a better and more cost effective Moates-made solution by the time I have to make that decision though...)

Nice to see you back around the site. Your input has always been helpful...
Turning screws on a Holley 4180c these days...

My Hooptie: '85 GT. Just about bone stock and knocks down 24 on the highway... LONG LIVE 7.5's and 2.73's!!!

86GT
BE/EA Developer

Post by 86GT » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Just to claify the BE operation with the Moates burn1. You can read and write directly to the burn1 with the F3 on board without the need of the burn1 software. BE takes care of all memory offsets for you. All you have to do is select the bank size in the drop down memu in BE.

Simply plug in the Moates Burn1, and BE will recognize it and light up a green LED in the lower right corner. Once the LED is lit you can read and write to the F3 adapter.

Transfering tunes from one hard ware to another is a little more detailed and can be discussed if needed. The fact that you said the bins you have are different than the ones you read with BE could be because of the payloads that maybe in the tune that you read. Also it depends on the number of banks. Some programs store the banks in a different order than others therefore when comparing them they will have all kinds of differneces. BE will read and store a 4 bank tune in the same order that the ford bins are found from ford. The only difference is that BE will pad each bank to a full 56K whereas Ford was inconsistant on the size of each bank.

codedout
Tuning Addict

Post by codedout » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks for clarifying that clint, I forgot about the padding, and yes it does get confusing. Nice to hear BE will work directly. Thanks for doing such a great job with BE and EA, I for one truely appreciate it.
Mike
-
T4M0/CBAZA, 331 10.5:1, 30#inj, Prof Prod 70mm TB, Typhoon intake, E303 cam, HPP210 heads, x-pipe, shorties, tweecer, tunerpro, ProM MAF, MSD Blaster& Dist, flowmasters, Holley 255lph, Scorpion 1.6RR, AEM WB,UD Pull,KYB GR2, Granatelli upr lwr.

86GT
BE/EA Developer

Post by 86GT » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:09 pm

codedout wrote:Thanks for clarifying that clint, I forgot about the padding, and yes it does get confusing. Nice to hear BE will work directly. Thanks for doing such a great job with BE and EA, I for one truely appreciate it.
Thanks

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:44 am

Being that this is topic in the FAQ submission, can someone write up a thread detailing all this out?

I'd prefer to keep what we move to the FAQ section as just documentation and commentary, not back-n-forth discussion.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com