Were did my intake go wrong.

Have a suggestion or a submission for a FAQ or Tech Doc? Post it here...

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

turbo2256b
Regular

Were did my intake go wrong.

Post by turbo2256b » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:09 pm

First I will introduce myself a I am new here at this point in time. Almost from birth I couldn't leave things alone alyays figured how to modify and improve it. Combution engines and the vehicles they powered became a passion. My first exposure to them was in U-Control air planes. Many of these planes I actually designed. I built so many kits I didnt need them anymore but thats another story.
Since I couldnt afford larger engines I began to soup them up and modify airpane kits for more speed and handling. Speeding on a bit I became interested in air flow. In particular relating to the internal combustion engine. At one point a kid of 17 making 5 dollars cutting grass for a guy down the street mentiond his ideas about headers he was buiding for his car. The "guy" has since used the kids ideas for the last 40+ years makinng a good living of building headers based off these principles.

Jumping ahead decades later this kid is now designing engines and there various componets. During this jump many cars and engines were modded with great results. So hello all
"Creamy" An off the hook 87 Grand Marquis 2 door

turbo2256b
Regular

Re: Were did my intake go wrong.

Post by turbo2256b » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Dont know were to begin soo I will just jump in and babble on.
Will start with a factory intake. You might think it wa designed and engineered by some expert in the field with vast knowlege of air flow and engine dynamics. Not so. More likely it was done by someone that couldnt even change his own oil or at best didnt want to get his hands dirty. Not to say this is the way all stuff was concieved. The person would more likely be exnonerated because on his abilities to modle a design on a computer, have some programing experance, be politiclay correct, get things done in a timly mannor even if it didnt work, even being of some sort of minority was a help at becoming a expert of some sort. Engine knowlege took a back seat to the above. So you can get a glimps of how a new intake design was handy capped before it even had a chance.

turbo2256b
Regular

Post by turbo2256b » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:46 pm

The designing software. Lets look at the computer drafting softwear. Buggy at best like anyother software you have used. It is often times like a video game fighting to get to the last level. The more complicated the part the rougher it is. Just inserting a fillet can be as easy as a button click or it could take days to insert one. So a good modeler was needed. So is a good designer. They are not necessarly the same person. Unfortunately most auto companies dont see this.
They see only at best detailers and designers. This should have been divided into detailers, modelers and designers.
An example of this designer works on a project for months. The engineers are all excited about the concept. The guy doing the desigining is being rotated off the project. It is given to another designer. He has been told its about complete just cross the Ts and dot the Is. He looks at the model for about 10 or 15 min and reaches for the phone.
Calls the head engineer of the project and tells him it wont work because on the 7 mile long engine machinig and assembly line the feature would be machined right off the block. To add to the issue this feature is only part of the system no one has designed the rest of the system. In this case it took the engineer a month to realize the designer was right. Dosent speak well for engineering. Another issue engineering cant be blamed for anything. Everything is always blame on drafting.

turbo2256b
Regular

Post by turbo2256b » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Lets sit down and design the intake. First alll the componets that the intake bolt to are brought into the layout in cyber space. Then all under hood body componets are brought in. Here at this point to get an idea look under your hood and imagine everything within a foot of your intake in cyber space.
Hood, inner fenders, firewall, brake boosters, mastrer cylinders etc. You get the idea.
Then there are the things you dont know about. There is an engine machining and assembly line packed into a huge plant a turning and twisting snake 7 miles long with no room to add a space to even drill and tap a new hole or at the other end of the assembly line space to add its bolting a componet to the hole. It can cost millions to change or add a station.
Thats not all there are machining pallets, transfer stations, engines partly assembled and sub assemblies on conveyer systems on the floor hanging in the air from hooks that look like the latest rides at 7 Flags. What ever is designed must not only fit in the engine bay it must fit through all the flaming hoops during assembly. If something need changed here there will be a battle with the plant and the plant usually wins.
Now you might think all the junk in your way is in your job. Nope dont forget the engine shipping rack. Engines are rarly installed in a car were the car is assembled. It must be shipped to its destination. so several engines are mountedd in a pallet 4 or so. No engine part can protude the palet envelope. They are stacked and shoved togeather like sardines in a can on a shelf. Als othere are wild fork lift drivers running around the plant moving paleted engines to stacking areas and loading palets into trucks. Anything outside the palet envelope will have a tendancy to not be shipped on the engine ratherr end up on the floor. Changing these pallets once again can cost millions. So another loosing battle. Thesee issues at the engine plant can affect engine performance.

turbo2256b
Regular

Post by turbo2256b » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Now are we done nope. The engine gets safely to the car assembly plant. Once again it must fit through hoops similar to the engine assembly plant. The worst of which is the decking path. This is the path followed by the engine when it is loaded into the vehicle or the vehicle loaded to it. If anthing hits trouble. Even a mild tap can cause rework or early warinty issues

turbo2256b
Regular

Post by turbo2256b » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Now there is a space left by all this that the intake and the componets that must be bolted or hung on it. This would include things like PFTE sensor, EGR, EGR tubes, vacuum hoses, wiring harnesses, water hoses, water connections, throttle body air inlet system a coil pack, PCV, etc. When you think its covered they will add something.