What is the LM1 exactly? Isn't it just the cable?

Have a suggestion or a submission for a FAQ or Tech Doc? Post it here...

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

ryankenn
Gear Head

What is the LM1 exactly? Isn't it just the cable?

Post by ryankenn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 am

I'm just stepping into the world of tuning, and I'm trying to set out and buy the items I need to get me up and running with a decent starting "package" but found the lack of info on the Moates website quite confusing. All the forums topics I searched under "wideband" and "LM1" seem to reference the LM1 as a combination of the Bosch 5 wire and the cable. In reality isn't the LM1 just the cable? The number of options I see on the site for cables and sensors is staggering.

My intent is to buy the Quarterhorse, hooked via USB to my laptop, and buy the Bosch Wideband O2, LM1 cable and a serial cable to connect directly to the laptop as well. Am I correct in what I need to buy to get going? Just the Quarterhorse, Sensor, LM1 cable and Serial adapter?

I know its a basic question, but I have more, so prepare!

Thanks,
Ryan
1988 Mustang with MAF conversion to A9L. Stock bottom end 302, Powerheads E7TE Heads, 1.7RR, XE274HR-12 Cam, Explorer Intake, 75mm BBK TB/EGR, 24 lb inj/ProM 24lb Meter, Longtube headers, offroad X pipe, 3.73's, 255lph pump.

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: What is the LM1 exactly? Isn't it just the cable?

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:25 am

That's correct. The LM-1 is the wideband controller. It's more than just a cable. It has electronics in it that control and maintain the WB sensor. See WBs are more complicated devices than the standard HEGO. They require some electronics to feed them constant current and then interpret the signal feedback. The controller will then translate that into a 0-5v signal that you can run into some Analog Input such as an EGR Position Sensor input, or a stand-alone DataQ A/D converter. Most WB controllers also have a Serial connection that allows you to connect it to a PC. In the case of the Innovate LC-1, it's an RS-232 connection, so unless your laptop has a 9-pin RS-232 serial connection, you also need a USB-to-232 converter ($10-30). I think the LM-1 is a serial-only device as well. But since what I have is an LC-1, not the LM-1, I can't say that for sure.

When you purchase an LC-1 or LM-1, you often find them as either stand-alone sales or packaged with a Bosch LSU4.2 (the wideband sensor). There are even kits that include the controller, sensor, and AFR gauge. Generally, you get a better price buying everything as a kit vs buying the pieces separately. So if you don't already have a sensor, verify if the kits that come with the sensor will actually be cheaper for you than buying the components separately. Also there's a certain level of confidence in part compatibility when you buy kits vs buying the parts separately.

Just out of curiosity, what is the selling point to you for wanting an Innovate LM-1 instead of the cheaper Innovate LC-1? It doesn't matter to BinaryEditor which one you get, I'm just curious as to what you saw in the LM-1 that attracted you to it instead of the LC-1.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Ryno8705
Gear Head

Post by Ryno8705 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:32 am

My guess for the LM-1 over the LC-1 is the LM-1 is stand alone and can easily be transferred from car to car. Whereas the LC-1 can also be transferred, it's supposed to be hardwired because a person needs something else to read it, ie: computer or gauge. At least that's my understanding

I ordered an LC-1 kit with the blue digital gauge for $212 shipped from Poweradder Solutions, a dealer on corral.net. I should get it in the mail today, I'll post my experience with the company incase someone is interested in purchasing one.
1994 Mustang GT Convertible. - YMR# 8045
306, E303, Moates QH & BE/EA, T4M0/CBAZA, LC-1, SVO Intake, MAC headers/catback, BBK H, MM CC plates+springs+SFCs+LCAs, K&N, KYB shocks+struts+quads, MGW shifter, 95 Cobra R rims, tires:275 back-245 front, 3.55 gears, FRPP Alum DS, Centerforce DF.

ryankenn
Gear Head

Post by ryankenn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:46 pm

Reading it now and looking around, I'm not sure why I got it in my head that I needed the LM-1. Know that its daytime, the LC-1 will work for me, and luckily my laptop has a direct serial connection.

Thanks for the info! Can't wait for my stuff to arrive so I can get into this.
1988 Mustang with MAF conversion to A9L. Stock bottom end 302, Powerheads E7TE Heads, 1.7RR, XE274HR-12 Cam, Explorer Intake, 75mm BBK TB/EGR, 24 lb inj/ProM 24lb Meter, Longtube headers, offroad X pipe, 3.73's, 255lph pump.

Ryno8705
Gear Head

Post by Ryno8705 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:46 pm

I have the LC-1 kit I spoke of eariler installed in my car with the gauge and it works well. I installed the gauge so I could be sure the BE was getting the right AF, and it does. The only problem I have with the gauge is the decimal changes too fast. I believe I can remedy this with the software I got with the LC-1, but I have not tired yet.

Apparently the software works with the LC-1 controller allows the user to slow the display rate and instead of the values bouncing around, the controller averages the AFR during the user defined sample period and displays the averages. We are still talking millisecond sample periods, but displaying the averages is supposed to smooth out how fast the decimal changes. This is probably not a gauge for the a-pillar. I think the decimal changing would be distracting during night driving.

I paid $212 shipped for my LC-1 kit, well worth it. Be patient wiring it up, all the grounds need to be good or you will get an innacurate reading.
1994 Mustang GT Convertible. - YMR# 8045
306, E303, Moates QH & BE/EA, T4M0/CBAZA, LC-1, SVO Intake, MAC headers/catback, BBK H, MM CC plates+springs+SFCs+LCAs, K&N, KYB shocks+struts+quads, MGW shifter, 95 Cobra R rims, tires:275 back-245 front, 3.55 gears, FRPP Alum DS, Centerforce DF.

ryankenn
Gear Head

Post by ryankenn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:22 pm

LC-1 came today. Bought it off Corral from a respected seller. Sensor is new so that's good. The kit came with the new sensor, gauge, PC serial cable, all docs/instructions/sticker/box, bung and he threw in a 2 gauge pillar pod all for $165USD shipped. Good deal.

Now I'm just on the QuarterHorse train waiting for it to come.