Moates Quarterhorse

Errors, Crashes, and Bugs, Oh My! This is where issues specific to tuning software goes. General questions about software features & capabilities are also welcome here.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

Post Reply
Excursion1
Gear Head
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Moates Quarterhorse

Post by Excursion1 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Im new to this world so here goes 2000 v10 excursion purchased a moates and using tuner pro rt.FXU4 mpam1 read out bin using qhorse downloaded FBFG2 xdf file using adx. decipha_sl_qh_dma truck wont start changed PATS setting still no go hmmm any thoughts

Excursion1
Gear Head
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by Excursion1 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:42 pm

Hmm not a single reply

motorhead1991
Regular
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 am

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by motorhead1991 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 am

Excursion1 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:42 pm
Hmm not a single reply
I'm not sure how I missed this one.

Possible causes for a no-start are:
PATS as already discussed
Corrupt tune*
Incorrect checksum calculation
Dirty J3 port

*IME, corrupting a tune is much easier than people think. The key MUST BE ON before connecting to the Quarterhorse. Playing with the MAF while the engine is running can also do it.
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

Excursion1
Gear Head
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by Excursion1 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:49 pm

Was able to make it work thanks Adam at POPS racing set me all straight

User avatar
scott88
Tuning Addict
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Albany, NY

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by scott88 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm

motorhead1991 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 am

*IME, corrupting a tune is much easier than people think. The key MUST BE ON before connecting to the Quarterhorse. Playing with the MAF while the engine is running can also do it.
Are you sure this is accurate? From the Binary Editor/QH guidebook I use:

"The QH’s memory is battery backed therefore there is no need to turn the key on to the vehicle to download or upload to and from the QH."

This has always been my understanding since I started using the combo BE/QH almost ten years ago, with hundreds of "writes" in that time...

Scott
88 Mustang LX, DSS 306, Moates QH v 1.6 w/self-tuned GUF1/A9P using BE & EA, Tremec 5 speed, LM-1 Wideband & Vortech S-trim, Crane 2031 cam, AFR 185 heads, Hooker longtubes, some other goodies.

motorhead1991
Regular
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 am

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by motorhead1991 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm

scott88 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm
motorhead1991 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 am

*IME, corrupting a tune is much easier than people think. The key MUST BE ON before connecting to the Quarterhorse. Playing with the MAF while the engine is running can also do it.
Are you sure this is accurate? From the Binary Editor/QH guidebook I use:

"The QH’s memory is battery backed therefore there is no need to turn the key on to the vehicle to download or upload to and from the QH."

This has always been my understanding since I started using the combo BE/QH almost ten years ago, with hundreds of "writes" in that time...

Scott
Try it. It almost never fails for me...
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

User avatar
scott88
Tuning Addict
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Albany, NY

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by scott88 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:33 pm

motorhead1991 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm
scott88 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm
motorhead1991 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 am

*IME, corrupting a tune is much easier than people think. The key MUST BE ON before connecting to the Quarterhorse. Playing with the MAF while the engine is running can also do it.
Are you sure this is accurate? From the Binary Editor/QH guidebook I use:

"The QH’s memory is battery backed therefore there is no need to turn the key on to the vehicle to download or upload to and from the QH."

This has always been my understanding since I started using the combo BE/QH almost ten years ago, with hundreds of "writes" in that time...

Scott
Try it. It almost never fails for me...
I've been writing tunes for years without the key being on- is that what you mean by try it? If you mean the MAF changes when engine running, I haven't done that but wasn't really planning on it either, I'll take your word for that one.
Scott
88 Mustang LX, DSS 306, Moates QH v 1.6 w/self-tuned GUF1/A9P using BE & EA, Tremec 5 speed, LM-1 Wideband & Vortech S-trim, Crane 2031 cam, AFR 185 heads, Hooker longtubes, some other goodies.

motorhead1991
Regular
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 am

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by motorhead1991 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 pm

scott88 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:33 pm
motorhead1991 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm
scott88 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm
motorhead1991 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 am

*IME, corrupting a tune is much easier than people think. The key MUST BE ON before connecting to the Quarterhorse. Playing with the MAF while the engine is running can also do it.
Are you sure this is accurate? From the Binary Editor/QH guidebook I use:

"The QH’s memory is battery backed therefore there is no need to turn the key on to the vehicle to download or upload to and from the QH."

This has always been my understanding since I started using the combo BE/QH almost ten years ago, with hundreds of "writes" in that time...

Scott
Try it. It almost never fails for me...
I've been writing tunes for years without the key being on- is that what you mean by try it? If you mean the MAF changes when engine running, I haven't done that but wasn't really planning on it either, I'll take your word for that one.
Scott
Strange, maybe it's just my setup.

Every time I do it, the pump runs constantly and the CEL stays on.
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

User avatar
cgrey8
Administrator
Posts: 10684
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:54 am
Location: Acworth, Ga (Metro Atlanta)
Contact:

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:36 pm

I suspect it might be something with your setup/EEC/strategy. I too have no problems writing tunes to the QH whether the ignition is ON or OFF. In fact, I've loaded tunes to the QH with it sitting in my living room and the EEC downstairs in the garage.

However now that I've got the Bluetooth adapters, the ignition has to be on to power them. I don't think the USB power reaches the Bluetooth module. So I typically have to write my tunes with the ignition ON for that reason alone. However if I wanted to reach behind the seat and use the good-ole USB cable, I'm confident I could read/write tunes to it on a regular basis regardless of the ignition key position.

I do find it interesting that you have a different experience. It really makes me want to understand why your setup fails to do this. I'm almost wondering if it's a ground loop issue or something.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

motorhead1991
Regular
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 am

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by motorhead1991 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:50 pm

cgrey8 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:36 pm
I suspect it might be something with your setup/EEC/strategy. I too have no problems writing tunes to the QH whether the ignition is ON or OFF. In fact, I've loaded tunes to the QH with it sitting in my living room and the EEC downstairs in the garage.

However now that I've got the Bluetooth adapters, the ignition has to be on to power them. I don't think the USB power reaches the Bluetooth module. So I typically have to write my tunes with the ignition ON for that reason alone. However if I wanted to reach behind the seat and use the good-ole USB cable, I'm confident I could read/write tunes to it on a regular basis regardless of the ignition key position.

I do find it interesting that you have a different experience. It really makes me want to understand why your setup fails to do this. I'm almost wondering if it's a ground loop issue or something.
That's a possibility. It is the factory 90 wiring afterall 😆.

BE forces you to have the key on so I'm in the habit anyways..
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

motorhead1991
Regular
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 am

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by motorhead1991 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Behaved exactly as expected...

https://youtu.be/2jLqJeOKxFg
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

User avatar
cgrey8
Administrator
Posts: 10684
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:54 am
Location: Acworth, Ga (Metro Atlanta)
Contact:

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:50 pm

No clue what's happening there. But your view behind the wheel looks very familiar...being I have an 89 Ranger with that same dash cluster. And my interior is the same color.

Although you are using TunerPro to write the tune. I'm using BE. I can't imagine why that would make a difference. But that is a difference between what you are doing and what I'm doing. I've never used TunerPro to write to the QH. So I can't speak to what it MIGHT be doing differently.

Interesting though...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

User avatar
scott88
Tuning Addict
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Albany, NY

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by scott88 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Yeah I didn’t realize you weren’t using BE for this issue. Seems odd anyway that you would need the key on because it’s srill the QH right?

I notice you wrote that “BE forces you to use the key anyway...”, well it shouldn’t. At least it never has for me.

When I first started in all this (2006 maybe?) I had a Tweecer and I had the damnedest time getting it to connect. Turns out I didn’t have the glue completely off the J3 port even after sanding it down, razoring it, you name it. Once that was fixed it was good to go. But that did the same thing (fuel pump stayed running).

It seems like you can still write tunes as long as the key is in, it may not be correct but if it works, what the hell.
Scott
88 Mustang LX, DSS 306, Moates QH v 1.6 w/self-tuned GUF1/A9P using BE & EA, Tremec 5 speed, LM-1 Wideband & Vortech S-trim, Crane 2031 cam, AFR 185 heads, Hooker longtubes, some other goodies.

motorhead1991
Regular
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 am

Re: Moates Quarterhorse

Post by motorhead1991 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:59 pm

scott88 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 pm
Yeah I didn’t realize you weren’t using BE for this issue. Seems odd anyway that you would need the key on because it’s srill the QH right?

I notice you wrote that “BE forces you to use the key anyway...”, well it shouldn’t. At least it never has for me.

When I first started in all this (2006 maybe?) I had a Tweecer and I had the damnedest time getting it to connect. Turns out I didn’t have the glue completely off the J3 port even after sanding it down, razoring it, you name it. Once that was fixed it was good to go. But that did the same thing (fuel pump stayed running).

It seems like you can still write tunes as long as the key is in, it may not be correct but if it works, what the hell.
Scott
BE2012 always tells me to turn the key on before writing to the QH. It'll connect with it fine though.

Aside from key-off weirdness, the QH works fine. I datalog and emulate with it on that ECM at least once a week.
cgrey8 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:50 pm
No clue what's happening there. But your view behind the wheel looks very familiar...being I have an 89 Ranger with that same dash cluster. And my interior is the same color.

Although you are using TunerPro to write the tune. I'm using BE. I can't imagine why that would make a difference. But that is a difference between what you are doing and what I'm doing. I've never used TunerPro to write to the QH. So I can't speak to what it MIGHT be doing differently.

Interesting though...
That's awesome that we have the same interior, TBH. This is my 90 on e85, with a big intake on it. (Stock Ranger computer with my strategy).
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests