2000 5.0 ranger swap questions about EECV

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: 2000 5.0 ranger swap questions about EECV

Post by cgrey8 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Even in the old GUFB strategy, you could define 0-2 O2s as well as indicate which cylinders associate to which O2. So if you wanted to explicitly set all cylinders to the working O2, you should be able to do so. Now maybe he doesn't know how or doesn't have a software that exposes this. Who knows...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Got the truck on the dyno, little low on power. What's the ideal base and final timing for a 9.5:1 347 stroker, 217/221 duration @ 050, 588" lift, 110°lsa? Cam is set @ 107° intake centerline.

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Quick update, been doing a lot to the truck...went to an ed Curtis ported Holley systemax 2 intake, PTC 2500-3000rpm converter (old roadrunner converter let go, hence the low dyno numbers), but ever since this last dyno session, I've been having trouble with the p0340 code. Found ECT sensor cable had a break in it and the single wire touched the coil pack possibly (my fault, bad splice), fixed that, code went away. Popped up 30min later on the way home, after it had a slight hiccup on deceleration coming to a light. Stayed running fine and no CEL. Just a soft throw code. Got home, then code went to a hard throw where it wouldn't stay running, would startup, surge, then die unless throttle input was applied. Even then, it would be missing. Fixed the o2 sensor problem. All banks reading proper now.

I'm not sure what else to do. Examined all wires, free from breaks and continuity is fine, only thing that's popping up in my head is the fact the tuner re-enabled closed loop since I had taken my wideband out and put the stock hego back in the driver side. No squeaks or anything from camshaft position unit, inside the cap ia perfectly clean, and it's mesh is nice and tight with the camshaft. Minimal rotational play in the shaft with the sensor removed. Still spins when cranked of course. I have no clue what else to do other than buy another ecu and see if that fixes the problem. Any suggestions how to fix the p0340?

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Mon May 07, 2018 11:41 pm

Anyone here have a trouble tree for this code or for this sensor circuit? I'm pulling my hair out over here trying to get this thing fixed. Been down for almost three weeks now and haven't made basically any progress on getting it to go away.

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Post by Paulie » Tue May 08, 2018 11:20 am

How did you line up the CMP syncro? Did you use the correct tool? Do you have the correct sensor? Some use a hall effect and some a VR.
1990 Mustang 5.0, HCI, Vortech S-trim, FRPP 42# inj., PMAS MH95, A9L, Moates Quarterhorse, BE/EA, Innovate LC-1.

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Tue May 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Paulie wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:20 am
How did you line up the CMP syncro? Did you use the correct tool? Do you have the correct sensor? Some use a hall effect and some a VR.
Turned engine over until old synchro had flag facing forward between the "valleys" (dropped it in at TDC #1 with facing straight forward once fully seated) dropped second one in the same way, facing forward when seated, same alignment as old one. No tool needed. Yes it's the correct sensor as the VR and hall are a 2 wire or 3 wire difference. Old synchro had very little signs of wear also. Probably didn't need to change but did anyways.

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Post by Paulie » Tue May 08, 2018 5:00 pm

P0340 is usually an alignment/timing issue. If the wiring is good and you replaced the sensor and syncro not sure what else it could be. Possible new sensor is bad. There is an alignment tool. Is it needed? Maybe. Also are you sure you were on the compression stroke for cylinder #1?
1990 Mustang 5.0, HCI, Vortech S-trim, FRPP 42# inj., PMAS MH95, A9L, Moates Quarterhorse, BE/EA, Innovate LC-1.

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Issue was there before I changed the sensor and synchro. Seems like it only happens with closed loop enabled. Waiting for another open loop tune from my current tuner to see if open loop resolves it or not. Any reasons closed loop could cause it to throw the code?

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Tested voltage from PCM for camshaft position sensor and ECT sensor, was reading .4v on the dark blue / orange, and wasn't getting a reading anything from the light green / red for the ECT sensor. Is that common? Maybe less than .1v?

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Mon May 14, 2018 9:05 am

Ordered a new ECU (since we weren't seeing any voltage output on ecu harness for the ect sensor) and still getting the p0340. Does anybody here have an electrical trouble tree for the p0340? I'm about to tear the harness apart later today and inspect for any broken wires. Seemed each wire we tested had good continuity and no breaks but something is still funky obviously. Just a matter of where now.

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 am

Sorry for the multiple posts but keep trying other things and want to post the updates. ECT sensor is getting good voltage; same reading between ecu pin on harness to the sensor connector itself, was 3.02v when I measured at both ends; camshaft position sensor is bouncing around from .08v-.13v though. What could be the cause of this? There's a sort of a pattern that it follows between those two numbers, and it's exactly the same when reading voltage on the ecu harness vs reading off the CMP sensor connector when it's connected to the unit. So it seems like the wiring there is good. Double checking the ground, but it seems like if the ground/sig return wire were broken along the way that the voltage jumps would be erratic rather than having a sort of pattern to them. Any input on this sort of situation?

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 am

Set your meter to Hz and make sure it's switching. You could also try measuring AC voltage if you don't have a meter with a Hz option.

If it's not switching....and you verified wiring ...you likely need to verify that the sensors physical position/gap is correct. I didn't read the entire thread so hopefully I'm not repeating things.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
A3M1/A9L, BE/EA, Tweecer RT.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Thu May 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Scanned Google and found this.... Maybe you've already read through it. This is page 4 for testing the 2 different types of sensors.
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-ind ... r-basics-4

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm

skunk wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 am
Set your meter to Hz and make sure it's switching. You could also try measuring AC voltage if you don't have a meter with a Hz option.

If it's not switching....and you verified wiring ...you likely need to verify that the sensors physical position/gap is correct. I didn't read the entire thread so hopefully I'm not repeating things.

John
I didn't use the tool to install the new CMP sensor and drive, but I didn't have to use the tool when I installed the original one either. Ran fine for a few thousand miles then slowly started acting up. Occasional misfire on decel, to not wanting to idle anymore without some throttle input and then easing out of the throttle. When I put the new sensor drive in, I lined up the old sensor so the flag was right in the middle of the opening, then noted how much the unit had to "rotate" to release from the cam gear. I mimicked these points on installation and the new sensor went in the same exact as the old sensor. Old sensor still looked very good. No play in it, nothing. Had 60k miles on it. I've also replaced the CKP as well. The truck will run and drive, just will have an occasional hesitation when acceleration. Sometimes leaving from a stop with partial throttle it will be fine, other times it will give the random hiccup.
Thought the wiring for the dash ECT sensor was messed up so I chopped that connector off and ran a spade style to the sensor's spade (temporary until the new oem connector comes in, just wanted to make sure it was getting a solid connection in the mean time). Does anyone have data on what that sensor is supposed to read? It's the single wire sensor so it's the resistor style, just curious what range it should be within. It seems that it reads fine on the dash gauge; needle moves appropriately and isn't sporadic or inconsistent. My next thing is to check the oil pressure sender wiring; maybe there's a slight disconnect somewhere in there, but also, the dash gauge for that is reading appropriately as well. I had to wire in all new fuel injector connectors due to the original wiring harnesses clips being broke off on them. I soldered all connections and am doubtful one came loose, but it's possible. Feel like that would give me a misfire code if that were the case, perhaps along with the p0340 as well.

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 pm

The single wire sensors are only for guages....they don't go back to the ECU so dont worry too much about them. I'm sure I've seen the resistance vs temp specs somewhere for fox mustangs. Might give you a general idea if you can find them. Even then the guages are rarely accurate.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 pm

skunk wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 pm
The single wire sensors are only for guages....they don't go back to the ECU so dont worry too much about them. I'm sure I've seen the resistance vs temp specs somewhere for fox mustangs. Might give you a general idea if you can find them. Even then the guages are rarely accurate.

John
When I first put this systemax intake on, I had to rearrange the ect sensors, and one was too far away from the og harness connector to be connected. Threw same code, and acted the same way. Extended the wiring, connected it, no more code. Wiring came undone a few weeks later when this code first started popping up again, fixed the wiring, was driving fine for about 45min until that small hiccup on decel, then it triggered the code. Everything still ran fine though. Since then, it's been a downhill battle.

Anything wrong with finding which CMP wire is ground and running a splice direct to battery ground to see if that changes anything?

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm

If 3 wire you should be ok, 2 wire ...no.

With out a wire diagram I can only speculate that your problem is in the repair you mention above. The ECT is a 3 wire sensor for the ECU. I have no idea what other wires are in the bundle you made longer but is it possible something got mixed up.

If disconnecting the single wire guage sensor throws a code, it can only be because of mis wiring which means something else is getting a high resistance ground when its connected. Single wire sensors are ground sensors. The part that's odd is you say your guages appear to function correctly. To verify, ground the temp sender wire to the block.....the guage should go full hot. Disconnected it should drop full cold. Your oil pressure should work the same.

Edit...... If it's the 3 wire ECT that came apart and shorted to ground.....it may not be reporting correctly. They won't always throw a code either. I had one go bad that never threw a code but I could see in my logs sudden drops in temp then no fluctuating reading right in the area the ECU thinks it's good.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm

I have only a two wire ECT and a 1 wire ect. No 3 wire ect's. I only extended the single wire sensor connector. The 2 wire one still fit properly

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Here's a few wiring diagrams of those circuits
Attachments
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG (71.66 KiB) Viewed 442 times
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG (79.27 KiB) Viewed 442 times

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Thu May 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Lol....ok now you got me second guessing myself on number or wires in the ECT....I will verify when I get home and look.

Either way looks like the ECT and Cam sensor share the power via the splice. You should have been able to measure the voltage to ground with both sensors unplugged and come up with the same values.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Post by Paulie » Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Never seen an ECT with 3 wires. The grey/red wire is signal return (sensor ground).

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Thu May 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks Paulie.......... your right. Disregard my statements above.

john
1987 Turbocoupe.

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:37 am

Hey all, back again with another "problem". Fixed the P0340, but having some trans issues now. Backstory is: old torque converter started slipping/not locking up anymore. Lots of metal debris when builder dropped the pan, flushed it all, flushed lines and radiator, installed new PTC converter. Trans still has issues. Problem happens randomly. Truck will be doing fine, shifting and locking up as it should, then randomly it will stop locking up all together. Sometime can hear it start locking then it will kick out and not lock anymore. No CEL's. Sometimes it will just stop locking up randomly like when siting at a light. Will have been locking up leading up to the light, then upon taking off and hitting 3rd gear, it won't lock.

Here's what's strange. If I pull over and reflash the tune (have three different tunes that are basically the same that it does the same thing with and a different ecu as well so that's ruled out) upon reflash, the trans starts locking up again how it should. Problem will be fixed for some time then it will randomly stop locking up again. What could be causing this? It's not temp related because even when the trans is fully up to temp and is reflashed, it functions normally for the next 15-45+min sometimes. I initially suspected wiring to be the issue but once I found out the problem was solved with a reflash, it really has me questioning things now. Any opinions?

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Instead of continuing this thread with a completely unrelated problem, start a new thread to track the new problem. Feel free to reference details you've already included in this thread, but track the new problem as a new thread.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com