The Engineer's Engineer...

Technical and non-technical chit-chat about whatever. Discuss, trade notes, complain, debate, just keep it civilized.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

cgrey8
Administrator

The Engineer's Engineer...

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:02 pm

As I sometimes do, I go to Youtube looking for research-quality material from DIYers out there that have far more willingness to share their lives visually than I have. And in the process of doing so, Youtube often prompts a nice list of "recommended" vids are things I might be interested in too. After all, they make money flashing ads at me the more I watch, so they actually do throw relevant click-bait my way. For S-n-Gs, I watch them too if they have an interesting title. Some are a waste of time. But I've found a jewel-of-a-channel that any car-guru, seasoned engineer, or just general shop dweller, I believe, will appreciate.

ArduinoVersusEvil or AvE as he goes on Youtube.
He's a Canadian Engineer that has, what appears to be, over 100 videos of him doing random stuff in his shop...and he's got some really cool engineering tools to work with. While there's definite educational value in what I've seen so far, the real reason for me mentioning him here is how entertaining he is to listen to. Part of it is he's Canadian, so some of the common words they use are just different than what I'm used to here in "tha South", but some, is just him being down-right hi-larious...that is unless you have delicate ears. He does use "grown-up" words...liberally, so even if you don't have delicate ears, if there are delicate ears around, best wait for them to be out of earshot.

I haven't watched even a 10th of everything he's got posted, but these were the ones that hooked me.

An exceptionally fascinating teardown and analysis of the Harbor Freight Hercules drill that they jokingly compare to a Dewalt in their catalogs. Right out of the box, he tears a brand new Hercules drill down to the chuck and points out all the places where they they either did things right or skimped including a mAh test of the battery. Absolutely informative and twice as entertaining:
BOLTR: Dirty Secrets of Harbor Freight HERCULES | Better than DeWALT?

Then he has a good video about the torque capacity of ratchets (cheap vs name brand name) with a surprising result and some interesting followup where commenters pointed out that he was not quite real-world in his tests:
Snap-On vs. Offshore

But here's the pièce de résistance. I won't even tell you the title. But...well, umm. I can't even comment. I'll have to let yall do that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyuv3WXPQsM

If you know of any other good channels like this, post a link...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

Tun3r
Gear Head

Re: The Engineer's Engineer...

Post by Tun3r » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 am

Will check out your suggested channels. Thanks!

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 am

He's got hundreds of videos and I've watched most of them. And the thing I'm so impressed with is how much general engineering info I learn from them...things not really fully related to what the video's subject is.

...and he's just a hoot to listen to.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

motorhead1991
Regular

Post by motorhead1991 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:31 pm

I LOVE watching AvE! He's frickin hilarious like you said.

Definitely watch the name brand teardowns like the Fein, Dyson and Hilti. It's amazing where some companies cut cost to reinforce other areas.

His videos are so enjoyable, it's hard to pick a favorite 😁

EDIT:
OH! And keep your d*** in a vice.
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

JosephR
Gear Head

Post by JosephR » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am

Wow cheers for turning me on to AvE. I've seen a couple of his videos before but I never really checked out his channel. I love it!

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:52 am

motorhead1991 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:31 pm
...Definitely watch the name brand teardowns like the Fein, Dyson and Hilti. It's amazing where some companies cut cost to reinforce other areas.

His videos are so enjoyable, it's hard to pick a favorite 😁...
Yes it is. I believe all his teardowns are prefixed in their Youtube title as BOLTR. I've yet to hear what that actually stands for but I assume the TR stand for Tool Review. Anyway, it's nice having that prefix as you can just search Youtube (or Google for that matter) for BOLTR and find them all.

Another youtuber AvE mentions, on occasion, is ElectroBOOM. He's not nearly as engineering-savvy as AvE, but he's almost as entertaining. All his videos revolve around electricity and electronics, being he's an electrical engineer. His shtick is blowing things up, electrocuting himself, or both at the same time in the effort of making a point while seemingly looking like an idiot. But that's what makes his videos entertaining. The most fascinating of his videos are the Jacob's Ladder and the Tesla Coil vids.
JosephR wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am
Wow cheers for turning me on to AvE. I've seen a couple of his videos before but I never really checked out his channel. I love it!
AvE's not for everybody, but I figured there'd be people here that would appreciate his style.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com