help with idle set up

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

jeeptech77
Gear Head

help with idle set up

Post by jeeptech77 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 pm

im running a la3 ecu the only sound info i can find about throttle body air flow set up is decipha's article but some functions are diff in the la3
im wanting to know what the setting ITHBMA AIR -THROTTLE BODY AIR FLOW would be called in the la3 strategy
thanks jason

skunk
Tuning Addict

Re: help with idle set up

Post by skunk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:23 am

Hey Jason, I'm not sure the LA3 has it available or it's not been broken out. I will have to look at it later tonight. Keep in mind that ECU does things differently than the majority of information you will find online. Which definition file are you using, there are couple floating around? Whats the issue that's got you looking for that information?

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
A3M1/A9L, BE/EA, Tweecer RT.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

jeeptech77
Gear Head

Post by jeeptech77 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:44 pm

hi john and thanks
i am trying to get my idle air flow settings back to where the ecu can correctly control isc function
its never been correct since i have put the car together . the initial problem was high idle hot and really high idle after a highway drive
i have tried the typical setup procedures found on the turbo coupe site but all of the typical things have not resolved it like tps issues iac issues
vacuum leaks and so on
i have been running with the isc transfer function really really skewed from what stock is to keep the isc from flowing too much air
it works ok but i cannot adjust for voltage load as the ecu strategy is not set up for that and i donot know if the ecu is even capable of such function
at this point i feel i need to change the bin file for total throttle body air flow not including isc but i donot know what function or scalar that would be
i am running binary editor
i will try to attach the strategy and bin file . this will be a stock bin file
thanks jason
Attachments
LA3.BIN
(32 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
LA3.xlsx
(74.68 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Ok your running the modded LA3 and not the T23B definition. I will look when I get home tonight but if your looking for something to try that worked for me in the meantime, reduce the closed throttle timing which is fixed at 25 degrees. Go 1 degree at a time until it appears to be under control. If your idle is anything like mine was.....you should have an occasional miss and it will disappear letting you know your in the right spot. Go for a drive and see if the idle hang returns. I think I ended up around 23 degrees and idle has been good ever since.

Has the head been re-surfaced? Your cam events may be off a little if it has. I don't trust the timing indicator on these things so I would pull the cover and run the string line to see how the cam key aligns with crank. Mine was off. Use a feeler in spark plugs hole #1 to get your TDC. I have also seen distributor shafts gum up ..... Pull the dizzy and make sure the shaft spins freely. LOL yes..these are the mechanical things I had to verify or fix before I concluded I needed to back off my timing. If you find your also getting detonation in premium mode....... Copy the regular timing over to the premium table and adjust from there using the premium table as guide.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Found it.

SCL084
Idle - Desired Airmass Subtractor
LA3=0.450 lb/min, 8UA=0.435 lb/min

Throttle Body Air Flow. ITHBMA - This parameter is the air mass flow through the throttle body when the butterfly is closed against the idle stop screw and the ISC dutycycle is 0%. This value is used by the eec to determine the ISC dutycycle required to meet the calculated desired idle air flow. Alter when the throttle body has been changed

John
1987 Turbocoupe.

jeeptech77
Gear Head

Post by jeeptech77 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm

john is the t23b file a completely stock bin ? or strategy ? and do you know where could i find it ?

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 am

My mistake, the T23B is a definition file for TunerPro written by sailorbob. It should still be available for download on the TP site. He may have it available for BE but it wasn't as complete last time I looked.

If your looking for a stock bin.....just read your ECU.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.

motorhead1991
Regular

Post by motorhead1991 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 pm

jeeptech77 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm
john is the t23b file a completely stock bin ? or strategy ? and do you know where could i find it ?
I also have it handy for TunerPro with a padded binary, on my tuning laptop at home.

I've been meaning to add Universal ADXsupport to it, but I've been busy on other projects.
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram