basket case dropped on my lap

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

ashford
Regular

basket case dropped on my lap

Post by ashford » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:49 pm

its been awhile since i touched be or the quarterhorse. but a basket case car dropped on me the other day.
it is a 96 gt with manual, twin turbo, seimens #80 and a cop conversion.
eec is a cdan4? catch code GGL2.
long story short the guy bought it with a blown engine, rebuilt it and couldn't get it to start. i get ahold of it to get it running and the j3 port is empty, great not even a starting point :twisted: .

i soldered in a new battery in my qh( i have a bad one) and started to look for stuff to tune it with.
what would be the quickest setup to just get the car into a running situation so i don't have to push it in and out of the shop every weekend?
be with free def, eectuner or tuner pro. i plan on getting sailer bobs def eventually to dial it in but need something quick and dirty for tomorrow

btw i have be2010 on an old laptop
62 falcon 4.6dohc czajl z4h0
85capri 2013 302, boss intake ms3
60 f100 427w e4od ahacb
83capri ms3 384w s475 e85 mid 9's
02 f350 7.3

ironmanisanemic
Regular

Re: basket case dropped on my lap

Post by ironmanisanemic » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Core Tuning shows the GGL2 as CDAN3, not CDAN4. I also did not see GGL2 listed in the Ford Stratagies listing that i have, but 96 Mustangs are CDAN3. One reprieve is that the hardware code is the same from what i can tell, so reflashing it or installing a chip with one of the CDAN4 bins would be your best bet. If you have BE i would highly recommend getting Sailorbob's def for CDAN4, its about as complete as you can get and would be the cheapest route to go. The other option would be to contact Adam at Core Tuning and get access to their database. Its a nice package, but on the costly side. 1222azz
ashford wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:49 pm
its been awhile since i touched be or the quarterhorse. but a basket case car dropped on me the other day.
it is a 96 gt with manual, twin turbo, seimens #80 and a cop conversion.
eec is a cdan4? catch code GGL2.
long story short the guy bought it with a blown engine, rebuilt it and couldn't get it to start. i get ahold of it to get it running and the j3 port is empty, great not even a starting point :twisted: .

i soldered in a new battery in my qh( i have a bad one) and started to look for stuff to tune it with.
what would be the quickest setup to just get the car into a running situation so i don't have to push it in and out of the shop every weekend?
be with free def, eectuner or tuner pro. i plan on getting sailer bobs def eventually to dial it in but need something quick and dirty for tomorrow

btw i have be2010 on an old laptop
1989 Ford Bronco:
-393W, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, ProComp Upper and lower intake, Custom Comp Hyd Roller cam, 10:1 compression, 30lb injectors, 75mm TB, Pro-M 80mm MAF, equal length short tube headers, 2.5 inch y pipe merged into single 3 inch with hooker aerochamber muffler and no cat, QH w/ BE and EA running U4P0, AOD

1995 Ford Mustang GT
-Bone stock minus the QH. 5 Speed. T4M0

ashford
Regular

Post by ashford » Thu May 31, 2018 12:43 pm

iv'e been slowly picking away at this. i did eventually get it to start on the flashed tune, turns out that the plugs were gapped too loose and cranking pw is astrinomical. drove it around a bit, it seemed to run fine in larger pw's, idle is steady but rich, dies every time you hit the clutch coming to a stop sign and fuel trims at cruise on the scan tool were in the 140% range. basically it has a horse crap tune, previous owner owns a performance shop, very dissapointed.

so i bought sailor bobs def and started out with the zxa5.bin. after inputting what i knew of the hardware and scaling maf it was better. i was getting some weirdness at idle, basically it was so modified i went back to a stock bin and changed what i needed for scaling, simplified timing and perload fueling.

i was doing some test hits for data watching the afr gauge it looked ok, then i did some small changes, fn035 at lower speeds, reducing timing, changing loslope and maybee a few others. i did another test hit and the wideband showed considerably leaner than last hit. in the datalogs of the 2 at the same rpm point, lambse and kamfr very close(within 4%)load, temps etc the pw is about 10% different. i cannot explain what is going on. i set the injector lo slope back to what is was and the data at higher loads remains the same- leaner than initially. the only thing i know of that is significantly different between the 2 now is timing.

did i somehow mess up the binary? or is something in the background doing this? for now i just upped the maf transfer.

below is the 2 logs and binarys
stuff.zip
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
60 f100 427w e4od ahacb
02 f350 7.3

ashford
Regular

Post by ashford » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 am

i think this is related to act factors, i am not too sure how act affects fuel.
fn300 looks to be an open loop multiplier to lambse so this won't help lambse match afr
fn059t and fn059 i am not sure what these 2 modify, i am running off perload (PRLDSW=0)

the 2 problems i am facing right now is

in closed loop higher act= lean condition ie kamfr increases at extended idle as act goes up. i have set fn059 to all 1.0 and didnt seem to affect this.
this is a histogram of what i am seeing this is in closed loop. the totcor is a custom field (14.64/lambse)*kamfr
graph.png
graph.png (125.45 KiB) Viewed 313 times

the other is the opposite. in open loop high load higher act=richer conditions. in a log i can take 2 seperate hits the first one will have a cooler act, secon will have a higher act. maf and rpm the same the first hit will have a lower am, pw and perload than the second.

any direction on how to manipulate act in the tune would be appreciated
60 f100 427w e4od ahacb
02 f350 7.3