a9l on a 88 2.3turbo

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

tsxfire
Gear Head

a9l on a 88 2.3turbo

Post by tsxfire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:11 pm

So I've recently been working on getting my 2.3 turbo running again, and I have a few a9l's lying around and I was wanting to swap over to MAF or Speed Density with speed density preferred. Does anyone have a write up or a bin file for it lying around? or both? I tried to do some searching myself but keep ending up in the same posts haha. Any help is appreciated.
91 lx v8 mustang with 4cyl turbo coupe LA3 from 88 tbird and a wiring loom from a 91 4cyl mustang, QH, BE

skunk
Tuning Addict

Re: a9l on a 88 2.3turbo

Post by skunk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:51 pm

I have been dwelling on doing this myself for several years and your right......theres not a lot of info out there!!! My thought is to go with a MAF ECU only because its much easier to tune for boost. The SD ECU will require a lot of tuning to set timing and fuel for running conditions above what the MAP is capable of measuring.

I will post a list of basic tune changes and an untested 2.3T GUFB/A9L BIN at the bottom of my post so you can see what ive come up with. Maybe others will get curious and post some comments/suggest edits. Ive mode no changes to spark/fuel tables. Also no change to injector parameters due to that being dependent on what size I end up using. Saying that........High Impedance are required for both ECUs!!!!! You can not use the Low Z injectors that come installed on these engines.

The only major wiring change I can forsee is needing to either open the wiring loom to seperate the banked injector trigger wires and extend the loose ends back to the appropriate ECU pins or to just run new wires. The 2.3 is batch fired with only 2 injector driver pins where the GUFx will have 8. It may be possible to leave the harness alone and tune for a batch fire engine but I have no idea if the drivers can handle it. I wouldn't chance it personally and I like the idea of going sequential.

The other wiring changes should be obvious once you have both pinouts in front of you.....I have not looked in a long time so I cant say exactly whats required.

Im sure you have already given some thought to what you will be giving up. Things that have kept me from actually doing this conversion is the lack of Fan, Knock and Boost Control in the GUFx. It also wont make you more power over what the stock ECU can do if your mostly stock and staying under 300 hp. Now, If I had a Supercoupe ECU fall in my lap......I wouldn't hesitate to do the conversion.

Anyway.....here you go and let me know what you end up doing.
John
  • 77D9 Scalar PFEHP Air - EGR System Type Disabled
    7E65 Scalar THRMHP Air - Thermactor Present Disabled
    7AAA - 7AAB Scalar DEGPIP Spark - Ignition Degrees Per PIP 180.00
    77BC Scalar NCNT Fuel - Cranking Mode Exit Min PIPs 4
    7AB0 Scalar NUMOUT Fuel - Injector Outputs 4
    7AA8 - 7AA9 Scalar NUMCYL System - Number Of Cylinders 4
    7AAC - 7AAD Scalar PIPOUT Fuel - Number of Pips Between Injector Outputs 4
    7444 - 7445 Scalar SPKSWL Spark - Max PIP RPM 1307
    7446 - 7447 Scalar SPKSWH Spark - Min PIP RPM 1307

7450 - 7451 Scalar PACSLO System - PIP Period Slope 5.000
    6F60 - 6F61 Scalar VMAFPIPLMT System - MAF PIP Limit 50
    7E61 Scalar ENGCYL System - PIPs per Rev 2
    701A - 701B Scalar SARCHG System - Engine Displacement (CID) 139.98263
    7E70 Scalar NUMEGO HEGO - Number of HEGO Sensors 1
    6E62 - 6E63 Scalar SIGKLU System - Signature PIP Multiplier Highest Value 1.99997
    6E60 - 6E61 Scalar SIGKLL System - Signature PIP Multiplier Lowest Value 1.42856
    7E68 - 7E69 Scalar MHPFD System - Signature PIP Difference Value 0.28999
    71B1 - 71B8 Table FN1327 Fuel - Injector Output Port ---
    71B9 - 71C0 Table FN1329 Fuel - Injector Firing Order ---
Attachments
2_3 A9L Template.BIN
(56 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
1987 Turbocoupe.
A3M1/A9L, BE/EA, Tweecer RT.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

tsxfire
Gear Head

Post by tsxfire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks for all that awesome info. I am intending to go over 300hp, hopefully my mark is about 350, but the LA3 I currently have has been causing me some urks. I will probably make a secondary wiring harness for this so that I can have my already converted harness off of a 89 mustang 4cyl converted to LA3. My build is a 88TC engine in a 92 v8 LX body with a 89 harness..... its a pain haha. But as far as boost control goes, I'm hoping with the mass air flow sensor it will be able to better scale with the boost, I am going to be using aftermarket turbo and exhaust and wastegate and what not... If I had files for a LA3 to MAF or SD conversion I'd probably do that instead but those are just about as hard to find. My old man says that SD can be easier to tune with the turbo than the MAF but that bin file will definitely help me out. also in regards to the high impedance, I have quite a few 42lbs or so injectors was tempted to use since the only lows I have are 30s, the 35s that the guy who sold me the engine sat for a while and so that don't fire for a damn....
91 lx v8 mustang with 4cyl turbo coupe LA3 from 88 tbird and a wiring loom from a 91 4cyl mustang, QH, BE

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:29 am

No problem.....I may have a copy of the LA3_SD bin somewhere in my archive. If I can find it I will post it. In the meantime I found http://www.eecanalyzer.net/strategies?v ... ileId=573b on the BE website for LA3 MAF. I have not looked at it so your on your own to see if its correct.

I would probably forget about the LA3 bin hacks and just go right to the GUFx conversion for the power you want to make. IIRC the LA3 has it's limitations delivering fuel at high load and rpm. You can try searching for posts from svojohn on here....I vaguely remember a conversation about leaning out.

Just in case I wasn't clear about injectors ...... You need Low Z for the LA3 and High Z for the GUFx. Interchanging won't work well and you risk frying the drivers.

I agree with your dad regarding SD if your tuning for track duty and plan on compensating for environmental variables manually before every run. For a daily driver you need to tune for a worst case scenario and end up leaving alot on the table. I wouldn't boost SD without a Knock Retard safeguard. Lol.....MAF isn't much better but at least it compensates for environmental conditions so you have a slightly better chance saving your engine.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
A3M1/A9L, BE/EA, Tweecer RT.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........