New guy OBD2 2.3 Turbo Ranger

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

Pwrshft99
Gear Head

New guy OBD2 2.3 Turbo Ranger

Post by Pwrshft99 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:11 pm

My Ranger is a 96 Splash with a 88 2.3T from a TBird.
I am using a 2001 Ranger 2.5 ECU (CPN1) with a Lincoln 80mm mass air (draw thru) and 42lb injectors. I purchased a TwEECer RT and a base tune that is pretty good, but there are a few issues.

Right now I am trying to diagnosis a hard start condition. The truck start every single time and drives very well. However, occasionally I get a backfire and i am required to press the accelerator and briefly hold it to the floor. Otherwise the engine cranks but doesn't fire. My understanding is that flooring the accelerator essentially cuts voltage to the injectors. The TwEECer YouTube videos even mention such a condition. I followed along and made the same changes that were done in the video but the condition did not change.

I have a few other tune issues but I'd like to cut my teeth solving this once.

skunk
Tuning Addict

Re: New guy OBD2 2.3 Turbo Ranger

Post by skunk » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:51 am

Welcome...... Look for something in the definition for cranking/startup fuel. You may need to lower the values for likely warmer ECTs.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
A3M1/A9L, BE/EA, Tweecer RT.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........