CBAZA: iac and aftermarket fan?

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

recharged95
Gear Head

CBAZA: iac and aftermarket fan?

Post by recharged95 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am

Trying to fix my overheating problems, I swapped out a 2 speed mk8 fan that was tired for a single speed spal hd. The spal cools better than the mk8, but every time it kicks in at idle, the alternator takes a nose drive for a second and goes into limp at 600rpm or stalls (idle set at 800). It recovers to 800rpms after 6+secs. Cbaza has low speed disabled, only high speed enabled. Fan specs says it pulls 32amps, so startup likely hits 60. This is a supercharger setup, full accessories. Explains why I get random codes during a cylinder balance test trying to diagnose smog issues, fan kicks in and idle goes unstable....

Mk8 had all enabled: I figured the low speed softened the amp hit, so didn’t stall.

I figured there needs to be an iac setting changed to add air when the fan kicks in, but not sure which parameter. Any recommendations?

skunk
Tuning Addict

Re: CBAZA: iac and aftermarket fan?

Post by skunk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 pm

I can't answer your question about IAC setting for the fan untill I have time to actually look at the strategy. You might have a setting for RPM when the fan kicks on.

I have to ask.....what's your alternator rated at amps? Your new fan inrush current is likely closer to 80-90 amps which is going to cause issues you can't correct in the tune if your alternator and associated wire is not capable of delivering. You also need to make sure the wires to the fan are at least a #10 .....minimum. I would also be sure you have a flyback diode in place.

On a side note.....I hope replacing the fan isn't a bandaid fix for a more serious underlying issue like not wanting to accept head gasket replacement.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
A3M1/A9L, BE/EA, Tweecer RT.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

recharged95
Gear Head

Post by recharged95 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:46 am

There’s a rpm adder, but it activates a couple secs after the fan turns on in the datalog.
Alt is the oem 3G (130A), figured that’s enough. As for wire, running it off the stock ccrm wire, appears 10ga, with the spal connector (definitely 10ga) and I thought the ccrm should have a diode in there already since the sn95 fan pulls a lot too lirc.

Engine’s fine, cools on the hwy, but at idle kept creeping up to 230deg on the oem unit, spal holds it at 210. Problem is a little high on Co2 for smog, tried a balance test and got 3 mixed results, 3,5,7 then 5 then 9. Hearing the fan turn on in the middle of the test spurred this whole check.

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:02 am

Sounds like you have your bases covered.

The symptoms described above.....can we assume you are running under drive pullies? If yes and you want to keep them you will need to increase your idle rpm to compensate.

Your high CO may be due to battery offset contributing too much fuel at lower voltages or timing needs a little more advance. You can also try using lower octane fuel for the test. This all assuming you have your idle dialed in already.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

recharged95
Gear Head

Post by recharged95 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks for the tips. Yes running underdrives, but using a smaller alt pulley to compensate. ASP crank had u/d by default.

Hmmm, I did reduce the offset voltage 2% (smaller values) debugging another issue now fixed. let me check if I reverted those values back to Siemens #s (60lbers).

Since the last smog, which I passed easily, I ran the LMAF. Only change has been a new dizzy and now I run a slot-type PMAS, car runs good, but going to swap back to the lmaf and see if that changes the smog valves (Yup, I have the right curves for both MAFs). WB meter is on the custom h pipe, which I’m currently on the stock h, ugh.

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:02 pm

recharged95 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm
Yes running underdrives, but using a smaller alt pulley to compensate.
Ok good.......how about the water pump? Your temperature issue is likely related to low flow and is possibly affecting fuel and timing. You have not said what T-stat temp is but running and tuning at 210-230 you have likely tuned in too much fuel and the timing may be temperature retarding......both will cause high CO. Easiest way to tell is if your consistently rich at lower temps say around 190 under ~2000 rpm. Timing is harder see since its calculated ..... you may need to set the tables the same and watch the adder/subtractors at work via data log.

Lol.....ya I know.....not alternator related. For that.....its possible its time to replace it or at least have it load tested to rule out power issues. They dont last forever....especially with excessive under hood temps.

Just throwing thoughts at you..... I don't have a great deal of CBAZA experience.......the board is quiet and I hate to see posts go unanswered.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.

recharged95
Gear Head

Post by recharged95 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 am

Cobra w/p pulley, 195^ stat, so we’re good there.

Being rich at idle seems to be the issue, I’m swapping back to the lmaf to see if my PMAS curve was just plain bad/untuned.