idle tuning

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

MikeP
Gear Head

idle tuning

Post by MikeP » Wed May 02, 2018 10:15 am

ok next question can you control idle open loop? if so what parameters are there to adjust? also need to bring down idle in closed loop, it cant be as simple as inputting the rpm that you want is it?
65 Cobra with stock 92 interceptor motor and transmission, has long tube headers and side pipes with mufflers in them, stock MAF with ported Explorer 45 degree neck with deleted egr replaced with machined spacer plate, and large air filter in the gill on the passenger side fender

skunk
Tuning Addict

Re: idle tuning

Post by skunk » Wed May 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Mike....the openloop idle question is difficult to answer without knowing exactly what part of the system you want to lock down. You can lock fuel, timing, or even remove rpm correcting via IAC parameters.

If your idle is high...the first step is to mechanically bring down via the idle stop screw. If your tune is commanding a high idle and your tach matches....then reducing the idle rpm should bring it down. If they don't match....you have to set mechanically. You will find the better your fueling down low the more you can reduce rpm. It becomes a dance of fix fuel....fix idle.....fix fuel until it's where you want it. I am over simplifying as there are other IAC parameters that you can use to dial things in.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
A3M1/A9L, BE/EA, Tweecer RT.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

MikeP
Gear Head

Post by MikeP » Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 pm

played with the base idle with screw but the initial start and return to idle falls way down and dies regardless of screw position, is there a initial enrichment circuit available as it also cranks along time before it fires off, if you can hold idle for about 20 seconds alls well and idles by itself

Thanks Mike
65 Cobra with stock 92 interceptor motor and transmission, has long tube headers and side pipes with mufflers in them, stock MAF with ported Explorer 45 degree neck with deleted egr replaced with machined spacer plate, and large air filter in the gill on the passenger side fender

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Thu May 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Hey Mike.....I don't see your signature if you have one. What are you working on? If you crank and hold the gas untill startup enrichment ends, will it stay running when you let of the gas?

If you can post your tune it would be alot easier to see what's been done instead of asking a million questions.

Edit....I don't know what I read but your post answered my question lol. Yes you will have both crank fuel and a startup enrichment table
John
1987 Turbocoupe.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

MikeP
Gear Head

Post by MikeP » Fri May 11, 2018 11:36 am

/new to this forum and style of tuning have a stock 93 mustang motor, its in a 63 cobra so it has long tube headers that go into muffler side pipes, has a explorer down and away elbow thats been port matched to the intake with the egr spacer replaced with a block of aluminum, bbk throttle body thru factory MAF (should I replace with larger/newer style/ better, before going to far in trying to tune?) thur a large air filter located behind the gill on pass side.

will try that and respond

how do I pull the tune? have not had a lot of time to play with this stuff, doing this one as a favor and will be building a 5.0 turbo for the shop truck

MikeP
Gear Head

Post by MikeP » Fri May 11, 2018 12:42 pm

if you can keep the rpms up for 10-15 secs then it idles after that

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Fri May 11, 2018 1:20 pm

What software you using? With BE just click the read button and save it. You using stock injectors? I would get it running on the stock MAF first since it's basically a stock engine.

John

Edit.....just remembered you using TunerPro. You should still have the option to read the device....if not post the bin file your saving with your edits.
1987 Turbocoupe.

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Post by Paulie » Fri May 11, 2018 1:45 pm

If the engine is stock with the stock injectors and MAF, the stock tune should work just fine. You probably have a mechanical issue.
1990 Mustang 5.0, HCI, Vortech S-trim, FRPP 42# inj., PMAS MH95, A9L, Moates Quarterhorse, BE/EA, Innovate LC-1.

MikeP
Gear Head

Post by MikeP » Fri May 11, 2018 3:56 pm

using tunerpro rt with quarterhorse hardware, its all stock except new intake items listed previosly, installed new harness and got rid of egr system, ran fine before so the change in the intake items have affected it, using stock tune from here "HOMEPAGE >> Downloads >> TunerPro >> XDF Files" Dave from Moates loaded it for me from remote log in.

skunk
Tuning Addict

Post by skunk » Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 pm

How big is the throttle body? Too me it sounds alot like a vac leak. It's also possible your new harness has an issue. Try running codes to see if you have any hard faults.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.

MikeP
Gear Head

Post by MikeP » Sun May 13, 2018 12:28 pm

70mm, codes were egr and evap related, engine light is off have not pulled codes since putting new tune in and the light went out,dosnt run like vac leak, but can check

MikeP
Gear Head

Post by MikeP » Tue May 15, 2018 10:49 am

car spins over for along time before even trying to firing off, and then idles up and dies, do this 3-4 times and on the third or fourth time idles up comes down and runs great, never touching the pedal, only after sitting half day or more, so either ambient temp or fuel drain back?? didn't touch fuel system?? just computer wiring, and air inlet side, will put fuel gauge on it later today, changed to a longer prime 5 secs didn't seem to help

MikeP
Gear Head

Post by MikeP » Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 pm

fuel pressure is fine

indy2000
Regular

Post by indy2000 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:04 am

have you not disabled the emission related equip in the tune?

have you dialed in your fuel?
gr-40 89Gt, A9L, BE, LC-1, KB2200 flowzilla,90mm TB, 90mm LMAF, 42#, stock cam, y303 heads.