Explorer eecv TC lockup problems

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

DRod
Gear Head

Explorer eecv TC lockup problems

Post by DRod » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Having some trans issues now. Backstory is: '00 explorer 5.0 swapped ranger, built 347 stroker, SCT Livewire TS+ tuned by Gil at HP Specialities here in Vegas, built 4r70w; old torque converter started slipping/not locking up anymore. Lots of metal debris when builder dropped the pan, flushed it all, flushed lines and radiator, installed new PTC converter. Trans still has issues occasionally. Problem happens randomly. Truck will be doing fine, shifting and locking up as it should, then randomly it will stop locking up all together, everything else will be fine though. Sometime can hear it start to lock (meaning rpm will start to drop then kick back up) then it will kick out and not lock anymore. No CEL's. Sometimes it will just stop locking up randomly like when siting at a light. Will have been locking up normally leading up to the light, then upon taking off and hitting 3rd & 4th gear, it won't lock.

Here's what's strange. If I pull over and reflash the tune (have three different tunes that are basically the same that it does the same thing with and a different ecu as well so that's ruled out) upon reflash, the trans starts locking up again how it should. Problem will be fixed for some time then it will randomly stop locking up again. What could be causing this? It's not temp related because even when the trans is fully up to temp and is reflashed, it functions normally for the next 15-45+min sometimes. I initially suspected wiring to be the issue but once I found out the problem was solved with a reflash, it really has me questioning things now. Any opinions?

DRod
Gear Head

Re: Explorer eecv TC lockup problems

Post by DRod » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Bump...really need some help with this. Been fighting it for weeks