Reuse old EEC V - move flash to new EEC-V possible?

This is where the BIN Hackers and definition junkies discuss the inner workings of the EEC code and hardware. General tuning questions do not go here. Only technical/hardware-specific/code questions and discussions belong here.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

jc179
Gear Head

Reuse old EEC V - move flash to new EEC-V possible?

Post by jc179 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi

Would anyone be able to confirm if this will work? I have a FAZ2 EEC-V in my 99 3.8 mustang, which has failed resulting running in a rough engine (all electrical and mechanical has been confirmed good before jumping to this point, additionally it seems this is a known issue)...

Anyways, I have picked up an identical EEC-V FAZ2, and it doesn't work in the car due to PATS. To overcome this I am thinking to move the N70005FWCHCA and small 7032fb eeprom from my original EEC-5 to the new one.

Would this work, or is there some coding still in the CPU that is going to mess this plan up?

Have talked to the ford dealer, they don't see very interested in helping make a 2nd hand EEC-V work, and want me to buy a new one...

Thanks for any help
Jonathan

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: Reuse old EEC V - move flash to new EEC-V possible?

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:04 pm

For way less than the price you'd pay for a new EEC from the dealer, my guess is you could buy a Moates chip and have some one write a stock tune to it with PATS disabled. Talk to Adam at POPSRACING and see how much he'd charge to do that.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

jc179
Gear Head

Re: Reuse old EEC V - move flash to new EEC-V possible?

Post by jc179 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:18 am

thanks for the idea, I'll reach out to him if I am unsuccessful, at the moment, I think I'm going to press on and swap the two chips over...

Having some problems reading the N70005FWCHCA flash in my GQ4X - will have to just move the original chip over...

Jonathan