Hello, new guy with a basic tweecer question

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

jurob
Gear Head

Hello, new guy with a basic tweecer question

Post by jurob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:13 pm

It’s a 91gt, 302 with an a9l. Has 30lb. Injectors and pro m 80. Runs good, but would like it to run gooder :lol:

Going with the basics to get used to everything.

Since my car runs well with the 30’s and pro m, should I leave injectors alone or add the 30lb settings and meter?

It used to be sct would leave it alone with the “calibrated” meter, but I saw somewhere where someone was told to add their injector and meter.

Thanks

skunk
Tuning Addict

Re: Hello, new guy with a basic tweecer question

Post by skunk » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Welcome

It all depends on what you want to do. If your NA you can leave it alone and tweek the MAF curve where needed. Believe it or not....the engine will feel great like this due to keeping you on a closed loop leaner mix and slightly elevated timing that's closer to MBT. The disadvantage it may not go open loop when you want until you make some tune changes.

Second option would be to ignore published data for both injectors and MAF......instead multiply the stock MAF, injector slopes and breakpoint by the ratio of injector change (30/19). Again tweek MAF as needed. This way will move you into Ford's intended operating characteristics with little fuss. You may need to add timing to get that same feeling as the first option. This is the simplest method especially if you are running well with no tune at the moment.

Lastly.....go ahead and use published numbers and hope for the best. This takes a great deal of time and experimentation. Disadvantage....you we have no way to measure your progress. Everytime you think you got it..... something else rears its ugly head.

Hope that helps a little..... there's so many opinions out there....you have to decide or experiment with all of them ...... Then decide how you want to proceed.

John
1987 Turbocoupe.
A3M1/A9L, BE/EA, Tweecer RT.
306,Single Turbo, Ported E7's, Ported Stock Intake, 42lb Matched Green Tops, PMAS 3" Blow-Thru Protube (42# supercharger calibrated),T5z, 3.73 gears
..... Nothin Fancy.......Just something to keep me from the honey-do list.........

jurob
Gear Head

Re: Hello, new guy with a basic tweecer question

Post by jurob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 am

Thank you!