Racing with ECC and Quarter Horse

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

scottc
Gear Head

Racing with ECC and Quarter Horse

Post by scottc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:30 am

I bracket race a 1988 Foxbody with EEC and a Quarter Horse. I use a 2 step which means when I am at the starting line with it engaged the engine is "misfiring". Sometimes after a number of passes my car will slow down by a .10 of a second and then continue to do so on the next runs that evening. It will then return to its faster times next outing to the track.
Could the EEC be detecting the misfiring and change a setting? I have most systems on the EEC disabled, at least the ones I know about. Any ideas? fuel or timing maybe?
How long does it take to clear a misfire and what does it normally affect?
I am using the sea level spark table. Can I just cut power to the EEC between runs will that clear the flag or change to the running parameters? Does it need to be un-powered for a specific amount of time?
Thanks
88LX,5.0L,70mmBBK,Holley System Max Intake,24lb inj,AFR 165 heads, N-51HR Anderson cam,long tube headers, C-4 Trans, 3.73 traclock, EEC A9L,have Quarterhorse and Tuner Pro, best 1/4mi 11.55.

EDS50
Administrator

Re: Racing with ECC and Quarter Horse

Post by EDS50 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:40 pm

I race 8.50 index and have never experienced any e.t. loss using a 2-step. It is an interesting theory you have though. Best way to verify would be to pull codes right after a run when you experience this .10th loss in e.t. and see if any misfire codes are being stored or pending and take it from there. Does your check engine light come on during these conditions you suspect?
1992 LX - 25.1c Chassis, Vortech Blown Dart 332, Lentech Trans, TRZ Backhalf, A9L, Moates QH/SL v1.9, BE, EA, TunerView

85GT
Tuning Addict

Re: Racing with ECC and Quarter Horse

Post by 85GT » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Maybe if your running with adaptives still on and have them set to a high rate (low number) it could affect your open loop fueling?
85GT, 302 w/Dart Windsor Jr heads, Crane 2030 equiv. Performer 5.0, 75mm TB, 88mm slot MAF, 34lbs injectors, BBK shorties, 5spd converted to 4R70W with Baumann controller, 9" rear w/3.25s
A9L running A9P bin via Quarterhorse w/LC-1 WB