Flex fuel sensor questions

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

DRod
Gear Head

Flex fuel sensor questions

Post by DRod » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Going to be upgrading the fuel system soon on my build, chassis is a 2000 ford ranger 3.0l flex. If I get rid of this flex fuel sensor (will be running -8an lines from pump to fuel rails) since the flex fuel wiring connector will be disconnected, will this cause any problems with running/tuning? Ecu is an EEC-V out of an ‘00 explorer 5.0. Later on I’ll install an aftermarket ethanol content sensor so I don’t see a need for this one.

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: Flex fuel sensor questions

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:43 pm

If the replacement computer doesn't need it and mechanically, you can plumb around it, then it sounds like you already know your answer.

I'm dumbfounded by why it was only the 3.0L Ranger that was ever FFV. The 2.3/2.5L L4s and 4.0L never were. I don't know if the 3.0L was the same engine in some other Ford vehicle that was already setup for FFV so it just came along for free or if there was some major fleet contract that had FFV as a requirement that made all the Ranger 3.0Ls FFVs too. There's been a number of "why did Ford do that?" questions I've had over the years that I'm sure there are answers too, but probably not answers the public will ever know. For example, why did they cancel the Ranger in the 1st place when in it's last year, Ford sold more 2012 Rangers than they did Mustangs? Why was there never a V8 option? Why didn't the Ranger ever have a crew-cab option like they do in Mexico and most other countries where Rangers are sold?

...and once again, I digress from the topic.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Did any of the explorer 5.0’s come with flex option? I’ve never looked in to that. It’s been running with this ecu for some time now, but I never tried disconnecting that sensor and seeing if it did anything.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm

No...at least none sold in the US. The injector size was WAY too small to be FFV capable. Putting the 5.0L in the Explorer in 96 was not a decision Ford wanted to do. They wanted to get the 4.6L into the Mustang since that was a stronger engine and they were having trouble getting the 5.0L to pass increasingly stringent emissions. But they still had 6 years left on their union contracts for making the 5.0L so they put it in the Explorer, which being a truck didn't have a stringent emissions standards. In 97, the emissions standards changed once again and the 5.0L with the GT40 heads just wouldn't cut it. So they modified the combustion chamber by altering the plug angle. Enter the GT40p head...the oddball head that improved both emissions AND performance but cann't use standard headers due to the altered plug angle. Torque Monster and MAC were the only two aftermarket mfgs to make GT40p headers. Being the Explorer wasn't exactly a performance oriented vehicle, they were never that popular despite being the best flowing, best performing stock production head Ford ever made for the 5.0L. And as good as they were, they were still no comparison to even the cheapest aftermarket 5.0L heads. So it wasn't so much that the GT40p heads were that good as the old E7TE heads just sucked that badly.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

DRod
Gear Head

Post by DRod » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:23 pm

So, then, there shouldn’t be any adverse effects to unplugging this flex sensor correct? I wasn’t sure if it was tied in to anything body side that would maybe cut fuel pump voltage if the connector wasn’t satisfied.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:15 am

I'm not aware of any peripheral functionality that they have other than measuring ethanol content in the fuel that passes through them. If they offer some auxiliary functionality other than that, that'll be news to me. That said, I'm not an expert in these systems. So I fully admit that there could be some additional functionality that they have that I'm not aware of. Hopefully others will chime in if they know something more.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Post by Paulie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:33 am

Flex fuel sensor only sends ethanol content to PCM. The sensor does nothing else and unplugging it will have no effect.
1990 Mustang 5.0, HCI, Vortech S-trim, FRPP 42# inj., PMAS MH95, A9L, Moates Quarterhorse, BE/EA, Innovate LC-1.