Can someone here help with a tune file to get my truck drivable?

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

DRod
Gear Head

Can someone here help with a tune file to get my truck drivable?

Post by DRod » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Not sure if this is allowed, didn’t see anything say it’s not so figured I’d ask. I have a dyno tuner here in Vegas, really good guy. Been happy with his adjustments and work. He’s worked a lot on the truck tune and dynoing it some months ago, have had issues with TC lockup and unlock related to TPS, now I’ve changed heads, cam, and fuel system/fuel rails, but same injectors and everything else. The guys wife is battling with cancer and treatment so as you could imagine, it’s very hard to get ahold of him for another tune and I hate to be a bother, and I sympathize with him and his family greatly; I’ve been in the same spot when my dad fought cancer, and eventually succumbed to it when I was 19. He’s gotten me a few tunes since the truck has been together, but it’s been a month that the truck has been together and I’m still not able to drive it due to the tune being so far off. My only alternative is to take it to Carl @ Dynojet and pay another $700 for a full calibration. I just need to get it driving reliably ASAP so I can take it to the exhaust shop and get that squared away so I can actually drive it on the road as it’s my daily driver.

Is there someone here that can take a look at the tune file and the datalog of the problems and be able to get it to be functional and drivable at least? I have the .mtf file and all that stuff, the programmer for the truck is a SCT Livewire TS+, EQE4 code on the ‘00 explorer 5.0 ecu, I can give whatever other details are needed. I also wouldn’t mind paying someone for their time, but funds are very tight so any help would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe someone could take a look at the log and be able to give me constructive “criticism” to fwd over to the tuner to help alleviate the stress he’s under at this time.

DRod
Gear Head

Re: Can someone here help with a tune file to get my truck drivable?

Post by DRod » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Here’s some instances of the issues I’m having:

Cold starts. Wants to die, sometimes repeatedly. Idles lower than it should (around 500rpm), almost completely unresponsive to throttle inputs, usually just causes it to die if you give it some throttle

When warming up, ECT is reading ~160°, if I give it a quick blip of throttle input, it usually won’t respond until the throttle blade is closed again, then it will rev up some. Basically there’s a hesitation/sputtering when coming off idle. Feel like in this mode if I just grabbed 1/2 throttle and held it, it’d just die rather than revving up. If I grab 1/2 and am back off the pedal very quickly, it will rev up basically once the throttle blade is nearly closed again. From my mediocre knowledge of engine, tuning, and fuel mixtures, that sounds lean to me but I’m just trying to understand everything so I can relay info to the tuner and get this thing straightened out ASAP.

Once warmed up and radiator fans are on, if you grab WOT from idle, it’ll hesitate and sputter very badly. If you grab 1/2-3/4 throttle in a gradual but quick increase, it will rev up ok, has that hesitation off idle still but not as bad as when mashing WOT from idle, and a momentary hesiatation around mid range as well.

I’ve had cold start issues for a long time....something I’m accustomed to, but still don’t like. Before this last round of engine work and after the dyno sessions and tuning, cold starts were still pretty bad. Was basically impossible to start it up, put it in gear and drive away. If I had to, I’d have to put it in gear and just coast, then park somewhere and let it warm up (neighbors complain if I just let it run outside the garage) huge inconvenience to not be able to touch the gas at all until it was warmed up some. Anyone able to help out?

thequietman45
Gear Head

Post by thequietman45 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:54 am

I am no tuner. I muddled thru my tune and asked for help with it on here but the general response was buy some books read about tuning, read the posts here and learn. I use my Bronco as my DD and I understand your frustration. That is why I hadn't been on here much or the efi page.

HOWEVER I did find some good folks at Pops racing that helped me out remotely. It is about the same amount you talked about with the tuner in Vegas but it is an option.

As for as your tune and issues, look at the air flow at idle or if you can see your MAF curve maybe adjust your air flows to what the computer needs??
20 year project - 1995 Bronco 427W, GT-40 heads, TFS Stage 1 cam, 1.6 rockers, edelbrock 3881 with 61mm TB, 30# Ford Racing injectors. QH and BE.

motorhead1991
Regular

Post by motorhead1991 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:07 pm

I would offer to help, but I don't have Advantage or an SCT
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram