Need some guidance tuning my '94 F150 which will not start

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

LukasMC
Gear Head

Need some guidance tuning my '94 F150 which will not start

Post by LukasMC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi everyone,

First let me put a disclaimer that I am still a big newbie to tuning. I've been reading everything I can about it for the past few months as I inherited a modded f150 that needed to be tuned, and thought it would be a fun project to get my feet wet with. I'm currently following the book "The Ultimate Ford EFI Tuning Guide" by Don LaSota.

I've gone through and have created my base tune as outlined in the book, and when it came time to upload the tune and start the vehicle, it would only crank, and there was zero firing. Since all the mechanical work was done before I inherited the vehicle, I went through and checked the basics. I've verified that there is spark and that fuel is getting to the fuel rail.

I've spent the past couple weeks reading everything I could, and I'm stumped. I'm sure that there is something simple that I'm missing that would stand out to a seasoned tuner immediately, hence why I'm on here. :biggrin: Since there is both fuel and spark, I was thinking that there is a timing issue, especially with the aftermarket cam. I tried adjusting the timing by removing the spout connector and adjusting on the distributor, but that yielded no results. I'm using binary editor with Sailor Bob's CBAZ0 def on binary editor with a quarterhorse on the truck. Here is a list that I was given of every thing that was done on the truck:
  • Bottom End: Stock 302 roller block, inspected, bored and honed @ 4.030 (per pistons), balanced, tapped rear galley plugs ARP 154-306 Cyliner Head Bolts High Performance. Stock crank polished. Speed way super stock rods. Speed Pro H273CP30 Pistons: Hypereutectic +8cc pistons. Summit Racing Rings. Melling m68 oil pump/pickup/shaft

Intake/Fuel
    Stock 5.0L intake, 36# Injectors (F7PU-A4A Dark Blue) Can't find much info on these injectors

Valvetrain
    Trick Flow TFS-51403001 Cam
    Crower Hydraulic Roller Lifters
    EPWI 1.6:1 roller rockers
    Comp cams pushrod guideplates
    Arp rocker arm 3/8
    ARP Cylinder head bolts

Skip White Aluminum Heads 190/60cc Chambers
I would upload my tune but it is in an encrypted .beb format which I don't think everyone can open? I would really appreciate if anyone could push me in the right direction. Please let me know if any other information would be helpful!

Thanks so much for any help, and for the awesome forum!
-Lukas
1994 Ford F-150
5L v8 302 with Trickflow cam, skip white aluminum heads
CBAZ0 with quarterhorse and binary editor
4R70w transmission with reprogramming kit

LukasMC
Gear Head

Re: Need some guidance tuning my '94 F150 which will not start

Post by LukasMC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Finally got it to start up yesterday. Sailorbob emailed me when I posted this and offered some advice, which was awesome! But in the end it turned out being that the distributor was installed 180* out. Went ahead and switched it around and got it to fire up. Now to the fun part, tuning! :biggrin:
1994 Ford F-150
5L v8 302 with Trickflow cam, skip white aluminum heads
CBAZ0 with quarterhorse and binary editor
4R70w transmission with reprogramming kit

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Don't feel bad. When I first installed the 302 in my Ranger, I had my distributor wired backwards. I assumed the rotor was turning the other way. But when the engine actually got to the point of spinning, I could see, I was wrong...rewired it, and it started, although horribly. Timing? Yep. Light confirmed it. It was firing at about 20 degrees AFTER TDC. So I advanced the distributor as far as it could physically go, but spark was still too retarded. So I had to pull it and restab it to move the rotor a tooth. Then it came right to life!

Point is, startups have this kind of thing. Good to hear you got it going though...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

tvrfan
Tuning Addict

Post by tvrfan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Agree totally. When doing an engine build, there are a few 'common' mistakes which we can all make, and as embarrassing as they are at the time, it sure helps with the learning curve for the next one .....

Stuff I, or friends have managed to do (European engines mostly ...)

Dizzy 180 degrees out.
Incorrect HT lead wiring. (good for loud bangs !)
Trying to start engine with no power to ign coil..... (points)
Trying to start engine with no fuel !!

Cam a full tooth out (well...it sort of ran..... lucky it wasn't a modern OHC interference design)
Installing a spark plug with no gap (after someone dropped it...)

.. I'm sure there must be others ....
See ?? incredibly STUPID !!

But it's the kind of thing that now always gets double checked.....
TVR, Triumph (cars), kit cars, classics. Ex IT geek, development and databases.

https://github.com/tvrfan/EEC-IV-disassembler

motorhead1991
Regular

Post by motorhead1991 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Decipha has the data:
https://www.efidynotuning.com/injdata.htm

Ford 36 lb/hr @ 39.15psi - Stock 94/95 Supercoupe 36#

Low Slope 50.40
High Slope 34.20
Breakpoint 0.0000200

VOLTAGE OFFSET

voltage
ms
16.00 0.81
15.00 0.90
14.00 1.00
13.00 1.09
12.00 1.25
11.00 1.44
10.00 1.69
8.00 2.59
6.00 7.50
0.00 7.50
0.00 7.50
0.00 7.50
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram