Tuning a turbo'd 2001 3.0L Ranger with BE and QH

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, 2Shaker, Jon 94GT

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Tuning a turbo'd 2001 3.0L Ranger with BE and QH

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:12 pm

I am completely new to tuning cars myself... I need a little bit (a lot) of advice on what to do and how to do it. I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0 and I've put a turbo on it. I have the wastegate set to 7psi and was wondering what I need to do to get it to run good, not necessarily make a bunch of power, just be drive-able. I figure I'll need to adjust the MAF curve or MAF scaling of some sort and ill definitely need to add fuel and maybe add timing. The only problem is, I have no clue how to do any of that. I'm using Coretuning's Binary Editor and a Moates QuarterHorse. So far I've figure out how to open my stock calibration file... I think. Tuning gods, give me your wisdom.
2001 Ford Ranger 3.0, Manual Trans Swapped, Taurus Intake, Ebay Turbo Kit, and a lot of trips to the hardware store...

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: Tuning a turbo'd 2001 3.0L Ranger with BE and QH

Post by cgrey8 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 pm

The first thing you need to find out is if the stock MAF is going to be enough. I don't know anything about the 3.0L stock MAF, but my guess is it'll max out fairly quickly and 7 PSI might be enough to do that.

While talking about the MAF, is the MAF in a draw-thru (MAF before the turbo) or blow-thru (MAF between turbo and Throttle body)? Most stock MAFs do NOT work well in blow-thru scenarios. Even if they airflow isn't maxing them out, the higher blow-thru temps are above what they are tolerant to handle. Many people have reported that large MAFs like the stock 90mm Lightning MAF (aka LMAF) are useless in blow-thru.

Next, have you identified where your MAF Transfer function is in the software? It should be under "functions." I don't know anything about Adam's defs, but my guess is it shouldn't be difficult to identify, even for a newbie.

Finally, have you been able to upload your stock tune into BinaryEditor?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am

My plan was to run Blow-through so that MAF could be affected by the BOV, but I see what you saying, although it is intercooled but I'm not sure if that will affect the temps enough... I've also run into another problem which I'm working with Ben@coretuning.com and Ron Francis wiring to resolve. A while back I sent my ECU to Ron Francis to remove all my transmission functions (I wanted the engine to run without any transmission inputs bc I did a manual trans swap without getting and MT wiring harness). I hadn't realized it but they used a J3 chip to satisfy that PATS system... so effectively I can't install my Moates QuarterHorse without removing that chip, and in turn, rendering the truck useless… now I need to know if Binary editor can disable PATS... I've fallen into a hole I may not get out of…
2001 Ford Ranger 3.0, Manual Trans Swapped, Taurus Intake, Ebay Turbo Kit, and a lot of trips to the hardware store...

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Post by Paulie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm

What fuel injectors are you using? I doubt the stock injectors will be big enough.
1990 Mustang 5.0, HCI, Vortech S-trim, FRPP 42# inj., PMAS MH95, A9L, Moates Quarterhorse, BE/EA, Innovate LC-1.

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:40 pm

I don't plan on keeping them stock. I got a quote from Inejctorclinic.com for a set of 6 custom 445cc (45lb) injectors for $460. But I need to get the truck running again with the quarterhorse first. Don't tell anybody, but I'm also still using the stock exhaust manifolds too lol. btw... this truck is being built on a completely stock motor, an ebay turbo kit, and redneck ingenuity. although I found out last night that my wastegate doesn't seal properly.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 pm

TurboRanger3oh wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am
...I hadn't realized it but they used a J3 chip... so effectively I can't install my Moates QuarterHorse without removing that chip, and in turn, rendering the truck useless…
You can have the J3 chip tune read out and saved for you. If you want to send the chip off somewhere, you can do that OR you can buy the hardware to read J3 chips yourself from Moates. Once you've read the tune out, you can then edit the tune in BinaryEditor and write the tune to a QH so the QH can work instead of the J3 chip. However that will require that you license BinaryEditor for use with a QH chip.

My guess is if you have BE and a J3 chip, they did get you the Moates hardware to burn/reburn the J3 with tune changes. Otherwise, it's confusing why you even have BE. Point is, using BE and a QH is far more powerful. Being able to write the tune changes via the QH is FAR FAR more convenient since you can do that without removing the QH from the hardware to make those changes. And you can datalog directly from the QH. If you are datalogging using the J3 chip, you have to be connecting through the OBD-II port somehow.

And if you want to get REALLY fancy, you can setup your QH to communicate to BE via Bluetooth. I've had BE communicating to my QH and Innovate LC1 via Bluetooth for a while now. Full tuning and datalogging without connecting a single wire to the laptop. But this is something that can be discussed later in the future if my thread on how I did it isn't helpful. Just search the forum for Bluetooth and Moates. There can't be that many threads with that.
TurboRanger3oh wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am
...now I need to know if Binary editor can disable PATS...
This isn't a question of whether BE can do it. It's a question of whether the definition you licensed from core tuning exposes this or not. If they disabled it, then I'm sure it's there. I'm not aware of them having definitions that expose more in the tune than the definitions they sell to their customers.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:02 am

Thanks for the suggestion. That's exactly what I did, I sent the file on the J3 chip to ben@coretuning.net and he converted it from SCT to a BE file. And yes, my license allows me to write tunes to the QH indefinitely.

The truck is running again, so now its time to learn all I can about using BE. As of right now I know how to edit a few things, but don't necessarily know what they do as far as how the truck will run.

The tune I have right now causes the truck to die any time that I push the clutch in and coast (no throttle). I'm guessing this is due to a lack of a clutch pos sensor but idk. I'll have to do some research and playing around with fueling I think.

Paulie
Tuning Addict

Post by Paulie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:18 pm

TurboRanger3oh wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:40 pm
I don't plan on keeping them stock. I got a quote from Inejctorclinic.com for a set of 6 custom 445cc (45lb) injectors for $460. But I need to get the truck running again with the quarterhorse first. Don't tell anybody, but I'm also still using the stock exhaust manifolds too lol. btw... this truck is being built on a completely stock motor, an ebay turbo kit, and redneck ingenuity. although I found out last night that my wastegate doesn't seal properly.
Seems rather expensive. I would suggest Siemens Deka 60lb injectors from Power Adder Solutions
1990 Mustang 5.0, HCI, Vortech S-trim, FRPP 42# inj., PMAS MH95, A9L, Moates Quarterhorse, BE/EA, Innovate LC-1.

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:17 pm

I'm probably just gonna max out the current fuel system on whatever boost level I can get. a If it can't even reach 7 Psi then I'll buy injectors. Right now I'm just trying to get the truck ready for inspection. There were a lot of things wrong with it; no wipers, no headlights, no taillights, no turn signals, no seatbelts, no hood, no reverse lights. most of it Is fixed now.

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 pm

I'm back with more questions. I've been reading up on what injectors I should get (because I'm cheap) and people make it sound like certain years for the 5.0 have injectors that will fit the 3.0. Same situation for the 4.0 and 2.3. Can anyone verify if they'll fit... I can probably make them work tune wise but I need to know if any of these will fit. Also, truck is now street legal... I just need a new driveshaft before I can drive it.

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:57 pm

]These are some pics that I have.
TurboRanger.JPG
TurboRanger.JPG (212.12 KiB) Viewed 503 times
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG (133.05 KiB) Viewed 503 times

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 am

The Ranger has had a few different V6s over the years. The 2.8L, 2.9L, 4.0L, and 4.0L OHC were all Cologne variants. My 97 Ranger's 4.0L has the same EV6 injectors with Jetronic connectors as the 96-97 Explorer 5.0Ls did. And the Explorer 5.0Ls use standard Ford 5.0L length injectors.

The 3.0L (Vulcan) was the oddball V6 for the Ranger and as a result, I don't know as much about it and I'm not confident that the injectors it came with were the same as the other Cologne offerings. Being it was also the only FFV engine Rangers ever got and based on a different block, it could very well have a different length injector.

Reading a few of the posts over on therangerstation.com, it seems the 3.0L does use the same physical size injector as the other V6 Ranger variants, but being it was FFV, the flow rates were larger than the 2.8L/2.9L...although not enough to satisfy a turbo.

What flowrate injectors are you looking at running?

The injectors I run on my 331 are 36lb Bosch that I believe came from some supercharged Pontiac V6. I had them flowed by Fuel Injector Connection, which is relatively local to me. The slightly burnt brown edges are evidently a common side-effect of whatever that Pontiac engine was. Granted, 36lb is WAY larger than a N/A Windsor engine needs for gasoline, but I did want to make sure that they could handle E85. Point is, you could scour eBay looking for deals like I did...unless you have the budget for new. Just confirm whether you have Jetronic (aka EV1) or USCAR connectors on your wiring harness so you make sure to get injectors that your harness will plug right into without adapters or having to splice different connectors onto your harness.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:39 pm

I was looking for 24lb+, I really just need something with a little more juice than 14lb... I'll buy some cheap injectors to see if they fit then buy slightly nicer ones once I know which ones will work.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:55 pm

So your 3.0L has 14lb injectors? That's the size my 2.9L had. Was your 3.0L not FFV?
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:18 pm

No, my 3.0 is just a plain 'ol gas only engine.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:19 am

I found a Wikipedia entry about the Ford 3.0L Vulcan and it did, indeed, come in a gas and FFV version.
Wikipedia>Ford Vulcan Engine
Interestingly, the Vulcan was only developed in 3.0L.

Anyway, what kind of boost levels/power are you targeting with this setup? That will help to determine what size-range injectors (and fuel pump) you should be selecting.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:15 pm

I'm really just trying to make the most out of 7psi of boost... I don't really care about hp, I just want it to run good at 7psi. Also if anyone knows what length driveshaft (u-joint to u-joint) a 2001 Range RC (regular cab) SB (short bed) Manual Trans is supposed to have LMK... because I have three driveshafts... 1 from a 2001 RC SB ranger auto, 1 form a 1994 RC SB ranger manual, and 1 from a 2000 explorer auto, and they are all too short... and driveshafts are expensive so I want to be sure I get the right one. I have swapped the manual trans yoke ono all of these shafts at one point to test them and none were long enough... seats in the trans about a 1/4".

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:51 pm

That's a reasonable boost level. Most any stock engine should be able to handle 5-6 PSI without worrying about overloading connecting rods. Obviously 7 PSI on a stock 3.0L is not going to result in the same increase in output as 7 PSI on a larger V8. But it'll still be an impressive performance upgrade. If I had to shoot from the hip and guess, I'd say 24 lb injectors would probably work fine. As long as you stick with EV6 or newer era injectors, you should be fine. At this point, EV1 era injectors are probably VERY affordable, but unless they have been flow-matched or are almost being given away, I'd keep looking.

It would be nice if you could find a stock shaft that would work. But for us V8 Ranger guys, we generally accept that there won't be a stock shaft that will work. We kinda go into the project knowing we'll have to find a shaft longer than we need...then have it cut-down to size.

My Supercab Ranger came with a thin 2-piece driveshaft which was notorious for wearing out U-joints. Ford ditched the 2-piece Supercab shaft somewhere around 98. I followed suit and cut the cross-member out of my truck to replace it with a single piece 3.5" aluminum driveshaft which was far more suited to handle the torque of a V8. It only had to be cut down 1.5" and has been working OK since. Back in 2005, it only cost $35 to be cut down, another $35 to be balanced. The shaft takes 1330 U-joints, but my trans yoke takes a 1310, so I had to buy a cross-joint to get the trans yoke onto the shaft. There's a chance your yoke is already that size since your Ranger is from the same era as my drive shaft.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks for the advice on injectors. As for the driveshaft... I'll probably try to go to the junkyard and snag an f150 driveshaft and cut it down or find the proper ranger driveshaft and just use my yoke. my driveshaft measured 52.5" u-joint to u-joint and I have a janky ass 3.5" spacer I made our of 2 1/8' steel plates and a 2" diameter steel pipe. The spacer vibrates like crazy at 15mph so I don't want to take the truck out until I get a proper shaft.

motorhead1991
Regular

Post by motorhead1991 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:50 am

Tuned correctly, the EEC can control large injectors just fine, to a point. I have 31s in my 90, and 60s in my turbo 90. Both idled and drove like stock.
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 am

motorhead1991 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:50 am
Tuned correctly, the EEC can control large injectors just fine, to a point. I have 31s in my 90, and 60s in my turbo 90. Both idled and drove like stock.
Agreed. You just need to satisfy the engine. Any extra is not going to hurt unless you go to excess. I've heard numerous people say they've had no problems running Siemens Deka 60s on engines that didn't need 1/2 that flow capacity. Although if I were buying them new, I don't believe I would default to the Deka 80s the way Decipha used to advocate. But I've never driven something I felt required/deserved NEW injectors. I've always been satisfied with buying used. At the time I was looking, eBay was littered with stock 24lb injectors, which were plenty for my 331 assuming all I ever wanted to run was gasoline. However I wanted the option of running E85, so I held out until I found something larger than 24s. I eventually found the used Bosch 36lb injectors I mentioned earlier. They've been working great. And other than being white, they physically are shaped the same as the stock Explorer 17lb (orange) injectors I replaced. Sadly, I've yet to actually run E85 through them. The last time I ran E85 in the truck was when the stock 302 was in it.
...Always Somethin'

Member V8-Ranger.com

motorhead1991
Regular

Post by motorhead1991 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:47 pm

cgrey8 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 am
motorhead1991 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:50 am
Agreed. You just need to satisfy the engine. Any extra is not going to hurt unless you go to excess. I've heard numerous people say they've had no problems running Siemens Deka 60s on engines that didn't need 1/2 that flow capacity. Although if I were buying them new, I don't believe I would default to the Deka 80s the way Decipha used to advocate. But I've never driven something I felt required/deserved NEW injectors. I've always been satisfied with buying used. At the time I was looking, eBay was littered with stock 24lb injectors, which were plenty for my 331 assuming all I ever wanted to run was gasoline. However I wanted the option of running E85, so I held out until I found something larger than 24s. I eventually found the used Bosch 36lb injectors I mentioned earlier. They've been working great. And other than being white, they physically are shaped the same as the stock Explorer 17lb (orange) injectors I replaced. Sadly, I've yet to actually run E85 through them. The last time I ran E85 in the truck was when the stock 302 was in it.
I put 31s in my NA truck specifically to run e85 😁. They run at like 25%dc max.

That being said, any 14mm, long EV6 or EV1 should fit a Ranger fuel rail, just watch the connector type and resistance. Most Rangers are the Jetronic style.
1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.

OpenEEC Telegram Chat:
Telegram

TurboRanger3oh
Gear Head

Post by TurboRanger3oh » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:06 pm

well... I won't be doing anymore tuning for a few days. I was doing some pulls at really low boost to get a guage of the adjustments id need to make, and I did something to one of the heads... I think I cracked it because their was oil leaking between the head and the block but no coolant smoke... so I orders a new set of heads and all the shit to fix it along with some other things to fix all the fluid leaks the truck has... wish me luck I guess