Newbie with questions

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, 2Shaker, Jon 94GT

TheLongestDong
Gear Head

Newbie with questions

Post by TheLongestDong » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Hello,

I'm new to EEC-IV tuning have a question related to my build. I'm building a mild 302 with gt40p heads, stock rotating assembly, an XE258 35-510-8 cam, and FMS shorties. It'll go with a T5 and be dropped into a 1988 Colony Park wagon with 4.10 gears. I have an A9L computer that will be tuned.

My question is related to fuel delivery since this cam has a high lift, will I need to upgrade to #24 injectors with the proper MAF sensor to be within a safe area without worry of it leaning out?

Thanks

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 am

That's a pretty basic setup and a decent conservative choice in cam. It is a high-lift cam, so you'll need to replace the stock GT40p spring package with one that will tolerate that high of lift.

As for your question, it depends. If you are buying a tuner like the Moates Quarterhorse, then you don't need to worry about "matching" MAFs with injectors. You simply select a MAF and injector combination that will satisfy the demands of the engine. If this engine is an Explorer donor and it has the orange injectors, then those are 17lb injectors. If you replace the stock fuel pressure regulator with one that lets you bump the pressure up, then you could probably get away with them. If you don't have injectors, and are looking for some, then get EV6 injectors with Jetronic connectors so they'll work with your wiring harness.

A stock 302 (even with GT40p heads) and only a cam & headers isn't likely to get much over 240 if that? If you port the heads and intake, you can get a few more HP. The 331 high compression stroker I have in my Ranger has ported GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower intake, FMS Explorer headers, and a Crane Powermax 2020 cam. The cam is VERY similar to the Comp XE258HR12. Based on the MAF flow rates I datalog, I don't estimate its output much over 280hp. Point is, estimating HP is a good way to size MAF and injectors.

That said, most any pseudo-modern MAF for a V8 will probably be sufficient. The stock Explorer MAF would work, but you'd have to find fittings for it unless you are also going to use a stock Explorer air filter box and intake pipe. If not, consider a slot-style MAF. You can buy those off eBay for REALLY cheap. I think I bought mine for ~$20 including the wire connector. Another couple dollars for a PVC pipe, some time cutting the pipe to hold the MAF, and I had a working MAF. After I spliced the connector onto my wiring harness, it was a plug-n-play upgrade to my C&L. Note though, I do have a Quarterhorse tuning device, so I simply replaced the C&L MAF curve with the MAF Curve of a stock slot style MAF. The diameter of the pipe I used was within a few mm of the stock diameter so I didn't need to rescale the curve.

Now all that said, if you are trying to do all this on the super-cheap, then yeah you are going to have to match your injectors and MAF to each other. But that's VERY old-school, and the cost of going that route (unless you can find used equipment) is not going to save you that much AND you'll likely find you will need a tuning device to tune the thing anyway. Matched MAF & Injectors may work fine for a track-only vehicle, but a daily driver needs a bit more detail spent on the tune to make it street-able without being completely annoying.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

TheLongestDong
Gear Head

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by TheLongestDong » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Thanks, this my first build and I've done a year's worth of research to come up with the type of build I want. It's definitely going to be a daily driver with emissions and mostly why I want to get the computer tuned properly. I assume it's going to be around 240 as well, but I'm not shooting for anything too high.

As for as the engine goes, it's out of an 89 bronco with orange top EV1 injectors, however I got a decent deal on a mustang part-out and got most of everything I need, oem forged pistons, crank, computer, etc. Thankfully they're all in good condition and leaves me a lot of room for tuning and other parts. Those EV6 injectors sound like a good idea.
Im currently trying to find someone who knows how to work these computers, I knew going in tuning for a daily wasn't going to be the cheapest thing in the world haha, especially if I want things to keep going smoothly.