CDAN4 PIP's and Displacement

Anything about Ford EEC tuning. TwEECer and Moates questions dominate, but there's some SCT and OBD-II knowledge too.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, 2Shaker, Jon 94GT

nomadtrash
Gear Head

CDAN4 PIP's and Displacement

Post by nomadtrash » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:40 am

I know I sound like a noob but I have run my quarterhorse one a CBAZA and an A9P before and have some knowledge of what is going on but I never got too deep into tuning. Mostly I just used the QH to adjust some shift points on the 4R70W and a couple of other things.
I am now running the quarterhorse on a 1997 Mustang V6 that has the CDAN4 strategy.
My mustang 3.8 was recently rebuilt with a 4.2 crank from an F150 and the mildest Comp Cams camshaft. Nothing major here. Everything else is stock. It is running well and there does not appear to be any mechanical problems like vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks.
I have been getting both lean and rich CEL at various times. From looking at the OBD2 scanner it appears that it is running rich at idle and general driving with the long term fuel trim -15%. At 75% to 100% throttle it tends to go full lean with the fuel trims at +25%. I verified the fuel pressure regulator first and it seems to be working correctly. That is why I have now installed the quarterhorse to see if I can adjust the fuel a little bit. I used the ZXA5.beb file because it is a manual.

First of all I Changed SARCHG from 231 to 256. It was strange because there were too many decimal places. It was like 231000 to 256000. I don't know if something is wrong or if that is what it is supposed to look like. It seemed to accept that into the emulator and the car would run but if I unplug the QH from the USB port it starts running really poorly. I think maybe the battery or something else in the (2009) QH has died and requires USB power to work.

Secondly I was trying to make sure it was set for the correct number of cylinders and it was listed in PIP and had a value of 71. This is a V6 that has a 36 tooth crank wheel. What value should the cylinders say in PIP?

I am also wanting to install a rev limiter on the V6 and don't know exactly where to look for that or how to make it happen.

I was hoping that changing the displacement would be enough to make it run without throwing a CEL. Do you think I will need to adjust the fuel tables also?

Sorry for the Noob questions. I hope I'm on the right track.

Thanks,

sailorbob
BIN Hacker

Re: CDAN4 PIP's and Displacement

Post by sailorbob » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:33 am

Firstly I would get the battery replaced in your QH. It is not worth the trouble of having to reload your tune everything you want to run it.

Secondly you should use the base calibration from your V6 ECU as a starting point for your tuning. There are too many differences between the V6 and V8 calibrations to make it a sensible choice.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:52 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Moates still replaces them for free...at least the older models where they were soldered to the board.

There was a newer design that uses a user-serviceable batter holder, followed by the current-gen hardware that has the added circuitry that holds the QH RAM up via the EEC's KAM power and only pulls from the coin cell when there is no vehicle power. That mod should eliminate the need to replace the battery every few years and extend the life of the cells out to 8-10 years which is the shelf-life of most (non-rechargeable) Lithium coin cells.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

nomadtrash
Gear Head

Post by nomadtrash » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:43 am

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered the QH battery from Mouser for $2 plus $8 shipping. LOL.

I will start with capturing the stock BIN from the ECU.

Any idea of where I can put a rev limiter?

Any idea of whether changing the displacement will cause the car to stop having a CEL?

Thanks,

nomadtrash
Gear Head

Post by nomadtrash » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:35 pm

I replaced the battery but the car still runs like crap if I unplug the usb from the laptop. I’m pretty sure the QH has a problem. It will upload and download bins ok. I was even able to read the stock bin from the chip and save it to a bin file. It will even run fine off the USB port on the radio. It just won’t run well without usb power going in.

sailorbob
BIN Hacker

Post by sailorbob » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:51 am

Is the J3 port clean and the socket on the QuarterHorse clean and undamaged?

nomadtrash
Gear Head

Post by nomadtrash » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:16 am

It was covered in white grease crap when I cracked open the case. I cleaned it with a rag and brake cleaner and it looked like there was no grease left on it. I will double check tonight on the Quarterhorse. I think I have some contact cleaner somewhere.

cgrey8
Administrator

Post by cgrey8 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:18 am

That's a very unique problem. But it seems clear the QH isn't getting sufficient/reliable power when not connected via USB. So I agree, this is most likely a connection issue with your QH and the EEC's edge-connector.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

sailorbob
BIN Hacker

Post by sailorbob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:38 am

In addition to the protective grease there is usually a clear conformal coating on the circuit board that needs removing from the J3 connector.

nomadtrash
Gear Head

Post by nomadtrash » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:48 pm

Does changing the displacement change the fuel map?

sailorbob
BIN Hacker

Post by sailorbob » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 am

Changing the displacement does not affect the fuel tables.

nomadtrash
Gear Head

Post by nomadtrash » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:03 am

I was able to use an old pro-m MAF remote optimizer to get it dialed in enough to stop throwing codes. I made a wiring harness adaptor out of an old wiring harness to plug in the foxbody part to the sn95 without needing to cut the wires in the car. I got the short term and long term fuel trims to bounce between -3 and +3 after an hour of driving and tweaking.

I’m pretty sure the Quarterhorse is broken. I cleaned up the j3 port really well and after reinstalling the QH it made the radiator fan run constantly. Moates was nice enough to offer a trade-in on the newest model which I will probably take advantage of.