Damper and flexplate/flywheel counterweight orientation?

This is the place for questions about things electrical and mechnanical...or any other automotive-related hardware issue.

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, 2Shaker, Jon 94GT

sydude
Gear Head

Damper and flexplate/flywheel counterweight orientation?

Post by sydude » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 am

Hey y’all. I’m trying to diagnose an engine/front of transmission vibration issue with a ford racing crate motor that I bought new a long time ago and freshened up a few years ago. The vibration started after the refresh. It’s a 50oz externally balanced 302. I know the harmonic balancer is good (I just replaced it with a correct new one), and the next steps were to check/replace the flexplate and the torque converter. Both of those are literally the original units from the day I bought the truck brand new nearly 30 years ago, plus the stock stall on the converter was horribly mismatched to the new engine so it was time anyway. I was double checking the converter bolts on the flexplate yesterday and noticed that the counterweight on the flexplate was on the opposite side of the counterweight on the damper (the counterweight on the flexplate was at the bottom while the weight on the damper was on the top). Aren’t they supposed to be oriented on the same side?

PS- there are a ton of posts online repeating the mantra that a flexplate can’t be installed in any other orientation, but let’s assume they can and that I may have.
'92 Ford Bronco Prerunner w/E4OD
Ford Racing 6007-XE3 302, 9000-L58 Mass-Air Conv. with AKC0 EEC, 80mm MAF & 30 lb. Inj.
Custom Tune by Adam Marrer of Pops Racing
Ford Racing 6250-E303 Cam & GT40X Aluminum Heads with Port, Polish and Comp Valve Job
Ford Racing Shorty Headers w/Bassani 3" Y-pipe, H-Flow Metallic Cat & Flowmaster Delta Force 10 muffler
Edelbrock Performer Truck EFI Intake
BBK Twin 56mm Throttle Body
Ford Racing Double Roller Timing Chain & Windage Tray