How to connect a Innovate LC-1 to the EGR input

Collection of newbie questions and common tuning concepts

Moderators: cgrey8, EDS50, Jon 94GT, 2Shaker

EDS50
Administrator

How to connect a Innovate LC-1 to the EGR input

Post by EDS50 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:25 pm

This is a detailed step by step on how I installed my Innovate LC-1 Wideband controller to work with QuarterHorse v1.4 and v1.6. Although this information should work for any other datalogging device (e.g. TwEECer RT) supported by BinaryEditor. However for wiring up Wideband controllers other than the Innovate LC-1, you'll want to refer to your wideband controller's documentation for correct wire colors and actual transfer values but the basic steps illustrated here should be very similar. Also note that this write up is based on the WB, gauge, Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer being configured to calculate and display measurments in AFR.

Note: This FAQ assumes that you already have an installed and properly functional Innovate LC1 wideband on your vehicle and that you are using Clint Garrity's BinaryEditor 2009 Build 32 or newer or Binary Editor 2010 or newer. Also your EGR must be disabled (PFEHP) in Binary Editor. Binary Editor can be downloaded and purchased from Clint's website: http://www.eecanalyzer.net
  1. Locate the Analog Output wire of the LC1 controller. It will be either the yellow (analog out 1) or brown wire (analog out 2). For this example, the brown wire (analog out 2) is used since it is configured, by default, to be the wideband output.
  2. Connect this output to pin27 on your EEC (brown/light green stripe wire – 88-95 5.0 cars). If you are working on a different vehicle, then check your vehicle's EVTM or wiring diagram for correct wire markings AND EEC pinout. There are two ways this can be done:
    • Connect it to the wire directly at the EGR, this tends to be the most common method.
    • Connect it directly to pin27 on the connector to your EEC. This is the method I used, as I feel it leaves less room for error from electrical resistance (shorter wiring). I simply used a t-tap so I didn't have to cut the wire and splice or make too much of a mess.
  3. If you have not done so in a while, now would be a good time to inspect/clean your WB sensor and perform a "Free Air Calibration" on the sensor. Refer to your instruction manual that came with your WB o2 kit on the proper procedure.
  4. Assuming all electrical connections are good, the next step would be to hook your laptop/cpu to your LC-1 with the supplied 2.5mm serial cable that came with the kit and open LM Programmer. The screen should look like this:

By eds50 at 2010-03-08
  5. This is where you will choose which fuel you are using and will also determine what the min/max AFR values will be in your Analog Out 1 or 2 screen which we will need to build our AFR Transfer Function in Binary Editor later.
  6. If you are using the standard setting of Gasoline-14.7 no changes need to be made here. Now we can click on the (for this example since it is what I used) Analog Out 2 tab and switch from the the "Use Lambda" selection to "Use AFR" and your screen should look like this when done:
    By eds50 at 2010-03-10
    Notice the AFR value for 0 volt = 7.35 and 5 volt = 22.39, this is what we are going to use for our AFR Tranfer Function to enter into Binary Editor later on.

Here is another example:

On the "Info set/AFR" screen of LM Programmer, I changed my fuel selection to custom since I am tuning both of my car for E-10. I just clicked on the fuel types and picked custom and then I entered 14.08 in the pop up window. LM Programmer will round it out to 14.10 just like it rounded out the 14.64 to 14.7 so dont be alarmed with the different figure. Once complete your "Info set/AFR" screen should look like this:
    By eds50 at 2010-03-10

Next I clicked on the Analog 2 tab and selected "Use AFR" and clicked the program button. Once complete my screen looked like this:
    By eds50 at 2010-03-10

Notice now that the AFR value for 0 volt = 7.05 and the 5 volt value is 21.47, a slight but crucial difference between 14.64 and 14.08. These values are very important in ensuring the accuracy of our AFR Transfer Function In Binary Editor and the accuracy of our tunes.
  7. Next is to hook our laptop/ecu up to our gauge (if you are using a programmable gauge) and configure it through LM Programmer. For this example we use the Innovate XD-16 since that is what i am using.

Once open, configure the "Input Screen" to look like this if you are using the 14.7 setting:
    By eds50 at 2010-03-10

Then click on the "Colors Tab" and you will see 14.7 as stoich. From here you can configure the led colors to your liking. This is what mine looks like:
    By eds50 at 2010-03-10

Notice Mine is still showing 14.7 as stoich, its ok because I changed the led to the left of 14.7 to blue since I know this is 14.08 (stoich for E-10) on my gauge and I didnt feel it was necessary to re-configure the gauge curve to show 14.08 as stoich but you are welcome to do so if you like.
  8. Assuming all your LM Programmer settings are good, the next step is to open BinaryEditor.
  9. Click on the Hardware tab and your screen will look like this:
    By eds50 at 2010-03-10
  10. In the Moates Window (highlighted in red)you will see the Transfer Function tab. Click it to enter the Transfer Function and enter the following:

Use this AFR Transfer For Unleadead Gasoline with 14.7 Stoich:
    By eds50 at 2010-03-06

Use this AFR Transfer Function for E-10 Ethanol Blend Unleaded Gasoline with 14.08 stoich:

By eds50 at 2010-08-27
  11. You may be asking yourself how I came up with these values for the AFR Transfer Function. Remember back in step 6 LM Programmer provided us with the 0 volt AFR and 5 volt AFR value. The values for 14.7 were: 0 volt = 7.35 and 5 volt = 22.39. With that information we simply need to figure out the 4 values in between the min/max values. This how we do it:
    x= 22.39 - 7.35 = 15.04 / 5 = 3.008

So now that we know x = 3.008 we can start by subtracting 3.008 from 22.39 (row 5) which would equal 19.382 and enter that in row 4 so on and so forth like so:

5= 22.39 - 3.008 = 19.382
    4= 19.382 - 3.008 = 16.374
    3= 16.374 - 3.008 = 13.366
    2= 13.366 - 3.008 = 10.358
    1= 10.358 - 3.008 = 7.35
    0= 7.35

The same math is applied for any of the fuel settings.

Here is another example for 14.08 which is what I am using:
    x= 21.47 - 7.05 = 14.42 / 5 = 2.884

5= 21.47 - 2.884 = 18.586
    4= 18.586 - 2.884 = 15.702
    3= 15.702 - 2.884 = 12.818
    2= 12.818 - 2.884 = 9.934
    1= 9.934 - 2.884 = 7.05
    0= 7.05

Since Wideband voltage feedback is linear and doesn't require all these entries, you may want to experiment with the following recommendation:
    86GT wrote:Use as few points in the transfer function as possible. The more points you have defined, the more processor time is required to look up the correct value as data comes into the PC.
    I personally have not tried it as I am not experiencing any issues with processor time or speed delays. However, this recommendation may prove to be helpful and is the reason why I included it.
  12. Once that is complete, you will see a drop down window under the Transfer button. This needs to be changed to AFR.
  13. Next, click on the data logging tab to confirm that the EVP tag has been changed and now shows AFR. Also make sure it is selected for datalogging. You should also make sure the scaler PFEHP is set to "Disabled" and if you have the EGR disabled then you probably have your thermactor plumbing and air pump deleted or disconnected as well. If so then the scaler THRMHP needs to be set to "Disabled" as well. At this time, you may also wish to save the payload.
[*]For useres of Clints EEC Analyzer you will want to open this program and open the "Fuel Delivery" tab and adjust your AFR to what you are targeting for. In My case I changed it to 14.08. Mine looks like this (highlighted in red):
By eds50 at 2010-03-10
This is important for accuracy in the suggestions EA makes when you run your datlogs through it.

If all is correct, then once your wideband O2 sensor is heated up, you should be able to start data logging and see the A/F ratio displayed in the digital/analog dashboard in BinaryEditor. If not, go back and make sure all electrical connections are correct and repeat step 3.

Note: I use the Innovate XD-16 gauge as well and have verified and confirmed the accuracy of the AFR display values between the XD-16 gauge and the BinaryEditor display. You may experience a slight or intermittent difference of +/- .1 or less in the values shown between the Gauge (if you are using one) and the BinaryEditor display. If so, I have found this to be attributable to a few things like the resistance in the wiring and or the speed the information is displayed. I personally have not had a problem with accuracy since my set up is new and calibrated correctly. Older units may suffer in accuracy just because of age or condition of the sensor being used. If you experience consistent accuracy issues you may want to recalibrate the sensor or replace it.

Update 2/26/11:

If you click on the ADVANCED button, you can change the Response Speed of the sensor. Too fast of a response speed will cause your air/fuel data log to be sporadic. Too slow of a response speed will be less accurate. You want the fastest speed possible that creates a smooth enough data log to be readable. I would start with “1/12 sec“ and try it. If that‘s too sporadic, try “1/6 sec“. The “Instant” setting is too fast, and causes Live Link to show a jumpy Air/Fuel ratio. From what I have been reading, tuners prefer the "1/6 sec" setting as it greatly stabilizes the afr readings on the gauge. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

** If anyone sees any errors or has any additional information to add to this FAQ, please feel free to PM me **
** Also, please feel free to PM me with any questions or help you might need **

I would like thank Jon94GT for allowing me to use his original write up as a template, CGREY8 for the motivation and tech support and 86GT for the additional information.
How do I connect and datalog my wideband with TwEECer?
Last edited by EDS50 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Reason: Updating information and images
1992 LX - 25.1c Chassis, Vortech Blown Dart 332, Lentech Trans, Team Z Backhalf,A9L, Moates QH/SL v1.6, BE, EA

cgrey8
Administrator

Re: How to connect a wideband to the EGR input

Post by cgrey8 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:43 am

It seems adding an antifouler spacer to the WB may help extend the life of the WB. Here's some info from Cougar5.0 that came from a different WB thread:
Cougar5.0 wrote:I made a spacer for the sensor using a spark plug anti-fouler sold in the "Help!" section of most auto parts stores.
I used the Help! P/N 42002 18mm tapered seat non-fouler (due to it's longer length compared to the 42009) which I modified so the sensor would fit into it. I counterbored the large diameter using a 5/8" bit so the large diameter of the sensor would not bottom out. I added about 0.075" depth - from ~0.75" deep to 0.825" deep - DO NOT bore any deeper or you'll get into the diameter of the 18mm male threads and have 2 pieces on your hands. I then drilled out the smaller diameter to 1/2" so the sniffer "nose" of the sensor would fit. I beveled the 1/2" hole using the 5/8" bit so the gasses would tumble a bit as they pass over the edge of the opening & hopefully this will minimize any venturi effect. I then used the gaskets from a Help! 42009 spark plug non-fouler kit on both sides as the tapered seat of the 42002 would not seal well against the exhaust bung and the sensor seals better (and has to go less deep into the female threaded end) when using a gasket.

You can see the gaskets on either side of the spacer (pic in previous post above). I've run the new sensor for a bit and it seems to be working fine. I was a bit concerned about speed since the sensor is not directly in the exhaust flow, but the reaction time seems to be as fast as it ever was based on datalogs I've taken so far. With the sensor out of the direct airflow and the spacer acting like a heatsink/thermal mass, I expect that the sensor will likely live a long and happy existance. Total cost of the spacer - $9 (1 - 42002 $4, 1 - 42009 - $5).
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331 w/GT40p heads, ported Explorer lower, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, 1.6RRs, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, Slot Style MAF, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, Innovate LC-1, GUFB, Moates QuarterHorse tuned using BE&EA

Member V8-Ranger.com

decipha
Tuning Addict

AEM analogue gauge wideband transfer

Post by decipha » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:54 pm

AEM 30-5130 transfer for those looking to tie it in to the EGR input, note: i tied the brown wire to egr input (pin27 for cbaza)
**be sure the actual egr connector is unplugged from the egr

0.0 v = 8.5 AFR
0.5 v = 8.5 AFR
4.5 v = 18 AFR
5.0 v = 18 AFR

heres the pdf for reference

http://www.aemintakes.com/instructions/ ... 0_inst.pdf